Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix 3.2 freezes up

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Knoppix 3.2 freezes up

    Hi, this is my first time using any version of Linux.
    Sometimes Knoppix only shows the boot screen and then it goes black and I can hear the CD drive spin down and the monitor hibernates like it is getting no signal. Nothing happens after this so I restart my computer.
    The times it gets past the initial screen, it goes to the one with the penguin and after a while, it starts listing the hardware detected and stuff. It also says "cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2948" - is this unusual?
    After this screen, I get a screen that is split into three vertical bars. The outside two are black and the middle is white. This voice says "initiated startup sequence" and sometimes a greenish window comes up saying "initializing system services". I can also move the cursor around. After about a minute, that box goes away and noting seems to happen. There doesn't seem to be any further booting going on.
    So...What am I-or is my machine-doing wrong? If you need any more details, just ask. Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    The cloop errors sound like a bad cd. If you burned the disc yourself- check the md5sum of the .iso you downloaded. If you bought it.......well......

    You can also boot like so:

    boot: knoppix testcd

    It should return something like "everything looks ok here" if the cd is good.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Hmmm. Checksum faild... And I spent all that time decorating the CD with Sharpies.
    Ok, thanks a lot for the tip.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    But...

    I just burned the new 3.3 version and I get the same cloop error, only this time, a desktop and browser window come up but I can't click on anything.
    testcd says it's a bad checksum again. could my burning software be causing this? I am using the nero6 version that came with the drive. Before it starts writing, it alerts that it will have to finalize the data to make it fit on the cd(700mb disc).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: But...

    Quote Originally Posted by Engon
    I just burned the new 3.3 version and I get the same cloop error, only this time, a desktop and browser window come up but I can't click on anything.
    testcd says it's a bad checksum again. could my burning software be causing this? I am using the nero6 version that came with the drive. Before it starts writing, it alerts that it will have to finalize the data to make it fit on the cd(700mb disc).
    You need a patch to Nero it has problems you can get it here. The check sum error can be caused by a bad download you can get a program here to check the ISO before you burn it.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    The patch wont install, says it's only for 5.5.10.50 and I updated to 5.5.10.54 (not 6 like I thought earlier).
    I just tried ISO Recorder Power Toy and I get the same checksum error.
    Hasher says the ISO checksum is ok.
    Could this be a hardware issue? I have a Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Engon
    The patch wont install, says it's only for 5.5.10.50 and I updated to 5.5.10.54 (not 6 like I thought earlier).
    I just tried ISO Recorder Power Toy and I get the same checksum error.
    Hasher says the ISO checksum is ok.
    Could this be a hardware issue? I have a Lite On 52x24x52 CDRW Model LTR-52246S
    How fast are you trying to burn it I usually never burn over 8x other than that have you had problems burning other disks?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5
    Never had problems with other disks. I've been burning at 4x. My friend tried burning the iso on his machine and it still doesn't work (Using nero5 as well). Maybe I'lll get him to download an iso and burn it.
    Thanks for the suggestions tho.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Engon
    Never had problems with other disks. I've been burning at 4x. My friend tried burning the iso on his machine and it still doesn't work (Using nero5 as well). Maybe I'lll get him to download an iso and burn it.
    Thanks for the suggestions tho.
    You may want to try another burning program as well I have seen many people on the forum lately having problems with Nero.

Similar Threads

  1. D-Link DE 660, Knoppix 3.4, freezes
    By kwak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 05:53 PM
  2. PC freezes when loading Knoppix 3.4
    By cableghost in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 02:58 AM
  3. Knoppix freezes while browsing.
    By constellation in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 12:43 AM
  4. PCMCIA freezes Knoppix 3.3
    By MarcoF in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 07:06 PM
  5. Knoppix constantly freezes...Please help!
    By batrachomachia in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 12:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Miscellaneous Brand 5 1/4 Inch Floppy Drive Untested - Lot of 4 picture

Vintage Miscellaneous Brand 5 1/4 Inch Floppy Drive Untested - Lot of 4

$35.95



Vintage commodore 64 computer new In Box  picture

Vintage commodore 64 computer new In Box

$375.00



7 Vintage Microsoft Software CDs Lot Windows XP Home 2000 95 Works PC  picture

7 Vintage Microsoft Software CDs Lot Windows XP Home 2000 95 Works PC

$35.98



Vintage Intel iPDS-100  Personal Development System picture

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System

$1499.99



Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Install Disc Lot - Rare With USB Support OSR2 picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Install Disc Lot - Rare With USB Support OSR2

$49.00



Vintage and very rare original Macintosh 128k box (2/3/1984) picture

Vintage and very rare original Macintosh 128k box (2/3/1984)

$500.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows OS Hologram Disc Lot XP Pro 98 SE Reinstallation Media picture

Vintage Microsoft Windows OS Hologram Disc Lot XP Pro 98 SE Reinstallation Media

$39.00



Vintage Microsoft Office Lot with Keys - Office XP Pro 2000 Pro 97 Pro Hologram picture

Vintage Microsoft Office Lot with Keys - Office XP Pro 2000 Pro 97 Pro Hologram

$55.00



Rare Vintage Apple 820-0729-B PC Compatibility Card PCI PowerMac picture

Rare Vintage Apple 820-0729-B PC Compatibility Card PCI PowerMac

$299.00



Vintage Media Vision Pro Audio Studio PAS16 ISA Sound Card 650-0060 A. PC picture

Vintage Media Vision Pro Audio Studio PAS16 ISA Sound Card 650-0060 A. PC

$90.00