Hi imemyself,
Start with clicking on the KDE desktop
K --> KNOPPIX -->Network/Internet -->
Network card config --> Yes
Try to see if the web browser Konqueror
works -- the icon that looks like a ship mine.
Best Wishes
paradocs
As the topic says I'm really new to Linux(never used it before yesterday). I'm trying to set up internet, and I got no clue where to start.![]()
I have a WLAN and the computer I'm using Knoppix on is connected directly to the router(Belkin). My ISP is Cox(cable, in KS). In case it matters, the other OS I'm using on my machine is XP Home. I'm using Knoppix via CD, not using at hard drive install. I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Thx in advance.
Hi imemyself,
Start with clicking on the KDE desktop
K --> KNOPPIX -->Network/Internet -->
Network card config --> Yes
Try to see if the web browser Konqueror
works -- the icon that looks like a ship mine.
Best Wishes
paradocs
OK, when I run that and click yes for the DHCP thing, I get this:
Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed.
Failed.
Hit return to exit.
edit: yes according to my router setup internet page(not viewable in linux btw), the DHCP server option is On.
Does anyone know?![]()
Hi again,
try from root, i.e.
su
dhcpd eth0
No luck?
Do you have a fixed address from you IP?
If so you must get your IP address, netmask, gateway and nameserver.
How do you connect from windows?
If you connect from windows 98, connect to the internet, go to
start run and enter winipcfg. Get the addresses for you connection.
For windows xp the command may be ifconfig.
Best Wishes
paradocs
OK, I tried the thing you said(I'm assuming the su, and dhcpd eth0 goes in the console), and it didn't work.(I tried dhcp too, incase it was a typo).
I'm pretty sure I've got a dynamic IP.
Hanging in there,
Can you connect with a direct ethernet connection to the modum?
But what you need is to get help with the wlan.
Ok I see you said wlan.
Search Knoppix.net for wlan
Here is one example with some things to try.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3915#18349
Best Wishes
paradocs
Hmm... When I try loading Knoppix when I have an wireless card(in addition to the router) connected to my computer, Knoppix freezes when its loading(when the little green progress bar thing). Also, if I don't have it connected when I'm loading Knoppix, but connect it once its loaded, it freezes. The WLAN card does work fine in Windows. When I tried loading Knoppix on the computer that the WLAN card originally was connected to, it freezes also freezes while the green progress bar thing is going.
I tried connecting it directly to my cable modem, but it didnt work.
Here's what I get when I run iwconfig, and ifconfig.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.
eth0 no wireless extensions.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10C:9C:90:F9
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Base address:0xd000
Hmmmmm,
No one else is comming to the rescue?
If more searching of old posts does not
set of a light bulb in you head, I would
suggest reposting with the subject specifying
WLAN or your specific card.
But don't give up! KNOPPIX really is great
at configuring with a very high percent of
hard ware. You just happen to be in the
wrong percent.![]()
Best Wishes,
paradocs

Intel Core Ultra 7 270K Plus 24 cores (8 P-cores + 16 E-cores)
$269.99
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz 8 Core Processor
$85.00
HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD
$199.95
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$395.00
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...
$399.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$69.99
OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz 8 Core Processor
$85.00