Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Lan connections

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Lan connections

    I'm having problems connecting to my Knoppix machine from my other computer. Both machine are dual boot, Win ME & Knoppix (now 3.3). I can connect from Knoppix to access Win on the other computer using 'LinNeighborhood' but I can't access Knoppix from Win. I start samba using the 'Start Samba server ' menu item (KNOPPIX-services-start Samba server), then go to the Win machine. 'My Network Places' finds the Samba server but when I try to access it it prompts for a password which I haven't got & can't find how to set. I'm assuming it's looking for a Samba password but maybe it's a Unix password or something else. There are only three passwords on the entire system....eg'cat' for user Knoppix logon, 'dog' for root logon , & 'cow' for Windows share level acces to windows shares & I've tried them all.
    Also tried setting the samba password with smbpasswd to be the same as the logon password.
    What am I not doing right?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22
    If you want to access the SMB shares on the computer running Linux from a Windows computer over the network you will need to connect to the share as a valid user on the Linux box.

    To add a Samba password (to enable a user account on the Linux box to login to the Samba share), open a terminal and run "smbpasswd username" as root (you can use the command "su" to become root, then use "exit" to exit root mode). Then you should be able to log in to the Linux box as "username" with the password you specified (smbpasswd prompts for a new password for the given username).

    It's often smart to have matching accounts on the Linux and Windows boxes. If you have a Windows user with the login/password elvis/wasfat you should create a similar account on the Linux box and then run "smbpasswd elvis" to enable elvis to view his Linux files from Windows.


    hw

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Tried that...I think. I added the Windows ID name using smbpasswd & also added it as a Linux account using the same password. Mybe I didn't do it right but it didn't work. I did finally manage to connect after editing smb.conf to security=share & setting [homes] path = / . There are no 'share' passwords set, so I think this means ANYBODY can now access my system which probably isn't very secure.....Opps, it's just CrashedAgain and is being reloaded so I guess it's secure for the moment!

Similar Threads

  1. 2 ADSL internet connections shared by one box?
    By beertinted in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 02:27 AM
  2. Unable to allow connections through Knoppix 3.4 Box
    By norrillous in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 02:24 AM
  3. SATA connections slowing boot down...
    By FuzzieBio in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 02:23 PM
  4. 2 internet connections
    By Roly-Arg in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
  5. How to enable thin-client connections to your knoppix server
    By true1ever in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-28-2004, 10:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor

$269.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS picture

HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS

$299.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99