-
3c509b card not working at boot time
Hello,
I have been successful in installing Knoppix to my HD (making it Debian really), but have been having a problem with my network card. Here is the deal:
I can run these commands and the card works great - I have perfect connectivity...
modprobe 3c509
ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.13 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255
route add default gw 192.168.0.1 metric 1
However, when I try to make these settings permanent (using the following method)...
--------------------------------------
1) insmod 3c509
-this found the card on the right addresses, and appeared to load the module without problem.
2) added this line to etc/modutils/aliases:
alias eth0 3c509
3) added these lines to /etc/network/interfaces:
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.13
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
--------------------------------------
The card driver doesn't load at boot time. I tried reading the howto's for ethernet and networking to make sure that I did everything correctly, but am still lost. Anybody think they know what I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Dan
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you run update-modules after changing the aliases file? If not you did not actually change anything except the file the modules.conf did not get updated. If you did this then put the module name in /etc/modules and it will be loaded on boot.
-
That was it
Thank you, I did not know what file was being called to load in the modules. A total n00b question, but I thank you for your time!
Similar Threads
-
By woshme in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 04:53 PM
-
By softgun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 11:50 AM
-
By cYmen in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-05-2003, 08:46 AM
-
By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-23-2003, 12:55 AM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-27-2002, 02:24 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45
$59.99

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP
$139.00

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99