Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Changing Settings

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1

    Changing Settings

    I downloaded knoppix a while ago and think this is awesome. I have windows on my computer and have been booting to a knoppix cd. The settings on the cd will not allow me to write to my hard drive for some reason, it will let me read though. My partitions are Fat32 btw.

    I right clicked on one of the partitions on my desktop and tried to change the read write permissions. It allowed me to change them but I was still unabled to write to the disk.

    Two simple questions
    1. While in knoppix is there some way to change the settings so I can write to the disk?
    2. How can i change the settings on the cd. Obviously i will need to make a new cd but where can I look for that?

    A third question a bit off topic but I figured I would throw it in.
    3. What would one need to do to make a cd that would load an OS other then Knoppix? like red hat, xp, or 98? I have a dvd burner and figured maybe I might need to burn it to a dvd for size reasons? Probably too advanced but wanted to know anyway.

    Thanks in advance

    Brett

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298

    Re: Changing Settings

    Quote Originally Posted by thedude
    I downloaded knoppix a while ago and think this is awesome. I have windows on my computer and have been booting to a knoppix cd. The settings on the cd will not allow me to write to my hard drive for some reason, it will let me read though. My partitions are Fat32 btw.

    I right clicked on one of the partitions on my desktop and tried to change the read write permissions. It allowed me to change them but I was still unabled to write to the disk.

    Two simple questions
    1. While in knoppix is there some way to change the settings so I can write to the disk?
    it should work using the icons, but you might also mount them read/write try "man mount" for info about that, or google it, I dont know the exact command but it shouldnt be difficult...

    2. How can i change the settings on the cd. Obviously i will need to make a new cd but where can I look for that?

    A third question a bit off topic but I figured I would throw it in.
    3. What would one need to do to make a cd that would load an OS other then Knoppix? like red hat, xp, or 98? I have a dvd burner and figured maybe I might need to burn it to a dvd for size reasons? Probably too advanced but wanted to know anyway.

    Thanks in advance

    Brett
    for the second and third question, you want to make a remaster... check the forums for info about that, there is enough. but its quite difficult (at least if you know as much about linux as I do, and I guess you know less)

Similar Threads

  1. Changing BIOS settings
    By clayfaris in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2004, 04:43 PM
  2. Keeping Settings
    By ron2big in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
  3. general strategy for changing settings w/o hd install ?
    By chrsjav in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-12-2003, 04:49 PM
  4. How to keep your settings?
    By SenateDC in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 09:14 PM
  5. Changing HDA1 settings without KDE........(newbie)
    By Frits Plotseling in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2003, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854 picture

IBM 02CL197 FLASH SYSTEM 840-900 LITHIUM ION SERVER BATTERY MODULE 990854

$225.00



Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs picture

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs

$49.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99