Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: HP ScanJet 3400C scanner not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22

    HP ScanJet 3400C scanner not working

    I got Knoppix 3.2 and got a problem with my HP ScanJet 3400C scanner.

    Kooka can't reconize it.

    How can I install / configure my scanner?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    26

    Making a scanner scan in Linux...

    This is actually a more common problem than you might think. The work needed depends on the scanner. In this case you'd probably want to take a look at searching for a HP how-to on the net to see what the specifics for your model would be. However, I have had some experience with a similar HP ScanJet model #, and if you care to cross your fingers and give something a try, here's a shot:

    It all revolves around SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
    edit /etc/sane.d/hp.conf (do this as root, since you'll ahve to be able to save your changes)
    at the bottom of the file, uncomment (read: remove the pound signs (#)) from these lines:
    /dev/usb/scanner0
    option connect-device

    save the file, cross your finger and give Kooka another try. IFF (if and only if) you have a Knoppix HD install, you can try a reboot of your Debian system (since that's what it really is). Sometimes, some (usually smartcard and other alternate media readers) usb devices really do need a system reboot.... Even Linux, the beautiful beast that it is, isn't immune to the need all the time. And I challenge anyone who wants to start flamming me here to go get a Dazzle smartcard reader to try first.

    Good luck.

    Civ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Arlington Washington USA
    Posts
    7
    Thank you for the NICE instructions!! These worked for me

    Deleting the '#' characters on the last two lines of the file /etc/sane.d/hp.conf

    dev/usb/scanner0
    option connect-device

    This found my HP5300C scanner ( after I realized to plug in the 110V AC power wall wart. Opps have not used the HP5300C scanner since I installed Knoppix 3.2 06-27-2003 english version a few months ago when WIN98 crashed on this computer.

    Gave KooKa a try on a Konsole / or Rxvt shell.
    #kooka

    Wahoo! it identified and found my HP5300C scanner. I clicked make this selection HP5300C automatically. I did a test scan. I did a test gocr image scan. This is cool. I can use my scanner again, without XP or WIN98
    Thank you so much!! Knoppix is really cool
    I did do the KDE 3 upgrade just a 1/2 hour ago. Do a search on KDE3 in these forums
    I let apt-get delete ALL the KDE3 packages

    I used this procedure to replace the DELETED KDE3 packages
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5156#24016
    Thank you Baldyeti

    Anybody have KINO_0.6.4 version working?
    Fred Finster

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Thnx , I'm going to try it. But is this only for USB scanners? I got problems with my scanner when I connect it on a USB port in Win98SE. I use a parallel cable for my scanner.

    And how do I login as root?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    It's not working...

    Can someone help me please to get my HP scanner working in Knoppix.

    I connect it with a parallel-cable.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    17

    3400c

    I happen to have a hp scanjet 3400c as well, and the last time I checked the SANE site, it said it wasn't (yet) supported. So maybe you will have to wait until a new SANE version appears that does support it and that is implemented in knoppix.

Similar Threads

  1. Install HP ScanJet 5730C using Knoppix 3.4
    By nicorellius in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 07:07 PM
  2. How do I make a HP scanjet 2300c scanner work.
    By rrfish72 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:26 PM
  3. Modconf...need module for HP scanjet
    By rrfish72 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 11:37 PM
  4. ...on a PowerBook 3400c
    By drspin in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 12:05 PM
  5. scanner not working after hdd install
    By mgomes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3600 CL16 RGB RAM F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC picture

G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB 2x16GB DDR4 3600 CL16 RGB RAM F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

$160.00



SKhynix 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-5600B PC Laptop Memory RAM   HMCG78AGBSA092N picture

SKhynix 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 PC5-5600B PC Laptop Memory RAM HMCG78AGBSA092N

$300.00



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-2133P Non-ECC 260-Pin  M471A1G43EB1-CPB   Lot of 10 picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-2133P Non-ECC 260-Pin M471A1G43EB1-CPB Lot of 10

$249.99



16GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM Kit (2x8GB) PC3-10600 240-Pin Desktop Memory Module picture

16GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM Kit (2x8GB) PC3-10600 240-Pin Desktop Memory Module

$65.99



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99