Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: ?Accessing vfat HD's from other machines

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    ?Accessing vfat HD's from other machines

    I have Samba running on my Harddrive install of Knoppix 3.3. Using LinNeighborhood, I have the remote Windoze shares accessible from KDE desktop. I have several machines connecting via a Linksys router in DHCP.

    I can't figure out for the life of me how to share 2 vfat partitions on the Linux box with the Win machines. I've got them to show up in "My Network Places" on a Win2K box, but when I try to explore them, I get the message "(x) is not accessible. Permission Denied."

    I've looked at the Man's, the HOWTO's, made a new smb.conf, looked at syslinux.cfg, and tried smbmount and mount. I'm using workgroup=WORKGROUP, added Administrator and my Win2k password to users, knoppix, and WORKGROUP in addition to my user name & pw that I use to log in from one Win machine to other Win machines in my domainless network. I also have a Linux laptop which Mandrake assigns to its own workgroup, and I can't browse the knoppix host from there, either.

    Just shoot me. I'm stupid. What have I missed?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Update on vfat access from Windoze boxes

    With the following in /etc/samba/smb.conf:

    [root]
    path = /
    public = yes

    [FILES]
    path = /mnt/hda6
    public = yes

    [STORAGE]
    path = mnt/hda7
    public = yes

    I have access from Windows to the /root directory (Win2K share name root) and all of the directories and files under it. Replacing ['FILES'] with [hda6] gives the same result; i.e., not able to connect via the network to those vfat volumes from Windows machines

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Bang! Me too. Bang!
    I think I've just been through the same thing. After reading the article on Samba setup in LinuxFormat magazine for the upteenth time & checking http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork, I edited smb.conf under [global] to security = share and under [homes] added path = / . Presto, 'My Network Places' could find everything!
    Security=share is not as secure as security = users (especially with the whole drive accessible & set to rw permissions) but it works.
    Also, I think you have to have a Linux user account for your Win computer username.
    Hope this works. I wish KDE would come up with an easy 'KNetwork' for us simple users who just want to connect a couple of computers together.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    AHA! You da Man! I noticed after reading your reply that I was missing a '.' after the path = / under [root]. I can now access /. from my Win2K machine and fool around with the files. I can read them now, but not write. I already had security = share. Under home/knoppix/netscape I double-clicked on bookmarks.html (small file) and it launched in my Mozilla browser in Win2K. I see that as a good sign. Still can't do the vfat drives, though.

    I set up users for Administrator and my other Win2K logins around the network. For some reason, I didn't elect to create home directories for each user, so knoppix is the only one I see. I'll go back and check them all for permissions, etc.

    I'll also check out your link to see if I can glean something from it.

    Thanks a bunch!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Wow! Lucky accidents DO happen. The . was actually the period at the end of the sentence, I didn't know it was important. Maybe it isn't. Anyway, accessing the vfat drives is easy, just mount them under /mnt/hdaxx & they will be accessable through /

Similar Threads

  1. 3.4 CD won't boot on two machines
    By cottlestonpie in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 02:22 AM
  2. Remastered CD cannot boot on certain machines
    By pendrag in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 08:19 AM
  3. how to connect two Knoppix machines
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 12:39 PM
  4. older machines - memory requirements
    By handyman in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-11-2003, 08:19 PM
  5. vfat not loaded automatically? vfat=fat32 support?
    By pc_dev in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2003, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00