Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cannot start further X sessions

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67

    Cannot start further X sessions

    I am using KDE and I have a couple users. Today I tried to login to one of the accounts, and the screen went blank and it clicked and then it came back to the KDM login screen.

    I deleted that user and added it again. Tried logging in, but no luck...same thing.

    I tried the other user, and couldn't login to that user either.

    Root is the only user who can login to KDM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I had that problem once....I think what I did was log in as root and set a new password for user:

    passwd <username>

    HTH

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    I had that problem once....I think what I did was log in as root and set a new password for user:

    passwd <username>

    HTH
    If it was a password mismatch problem it would say "Failed", but it does not. The login box goes away and it acts like it's switching to that user.

    I did try this though, and it did not fix the problem.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    I have a similar problem. I'm running V3.3-2003-09-24 and have a couple of users. When I try to login through kdm with any user except root I first get several errors stating something about a DCOP server and then the screen just goes blank and I have to turn off my computer.

    At first it would not let me login with a new user but then I changed the password for that user and now this happens.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycosys
    I have a similar problem. I'm running V3.3-2003-09-24 and have a couple of users. When I try to login through kdm with any user except root I first get several errors stating something about a DCOP server and then the screen just goes blank and I have to turn off my computer.

    At first it would not let me login with a new user but then I changed the password for that user and now this happens.
    Psycosys, try logging in using the commandline and see what happens...

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi,

    is there enough free disk space? I had this problem when my disk was almost full. Root can login because each file system has 5..10% reserved space for root.

    Ciao Martin

Similar Threads

  1. How to Use Sessions , in Multi User Environment.
    By your_raj in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
  2. KNOPPIX CD with 2 sessions
    By emanresu in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:37 AM
  3. Need help to start
    By bibear in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 06:38 PM
  4. How to reset sessions at each login
    By transistorman57508 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:12 PM
  5. KDE cannot start new sessions for any user but root
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 07:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$53.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Micron 1100 MTFDDAK512TBN 512GB SSD SATA III 2.5in Laptop/PC Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1100 MTFDDAK512TBN 512GB SSD SATA III 2.5in Laptop/PC Solid State Drive

$64.99