-
help me set up DHCP with this sis900 card
Hello all, here's come another network newbie question... I've just installed Knoppix on a hard drive, so essentially it is Debian. I've did my homework and tried to read previous posts; but no luck. I have a dual boot system, Windows XP boots and loads network parameters with no problems, it automatically obtains all the network values from my cable modem. Knoppix, on the the other hand, is being a bit of a pill. I like the idea that its debian and I like the distro. Think the drivers are being loaded correctly (sis900), but i'm not entirely sure. So here's my "ifconfig eth0"
Code:
root@chad:/home/knoppix# ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:CA:49:8E:68
BROADCAST PROMISC MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1324 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:82646 (80.7 KiB) TX bytes:3420 (3.3 KiB)
Interrupt:19 Base address:0xec0
what does PROMISC MULTICAST means?
... and output from "lsmod"
Code:
root@chad:/home/knoppix# lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
autofs4 8756 0 (unused)
af_packet 13448 0
nls_iso8859-1 2844 1
ntfs 51168 1
msdos 4652 0 (unused)
agpgart 38296 0 (unused)
i810_audio 25064 0
ac97_codec 11884 0 [i810_audio]
soundcore 3428 2 [i810_audio]
sis900 12428 0
crc32 2816 0 [sis900]
serial 51972 0
keybdev 1696 0 (unused)
hid 21380 0 (unused)
mousedev 3832 0 (unused)
input 3168 0 [keybdev hid mousedev]
usb-ohci 18184 0 (unused)
usbcore 57472 0 [hid usb-ohci]
apm 9768 1
rtc 6908 0
and here's my "interfaces" file
Code:
root@chad:/home/knoppix# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
please help....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Everything looks good it is just not getting an IP. Have you tried pump -i eth0 or dhcpd eth0 to see if you can get the IP from the cable modem? Both commands would be issued as root user.
-
okay, i've tried the commands you've suggested
pump -i eth0 gives me this:
Code:
root@chad:/home/knoppix# pump -i eth0
failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
as for dhcpd eth0, i don't have dhcpd, but i do have /usr/sbin/dhcpd3. so here's the output with dhcpd3...
Code:
root@chad:/home/knoppix# /usr/sbin/dhcpd3 eth0
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.1rc11
Copyright 1995-2003 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
No subnet declaration for eth0 (0.0.0.0).
** Ignoring requests on eth0. If this is not what
you want, please write a subnet declaration
in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
to which interface eth0 is attached. **
Not configured to listen on any interfaces!
i'm beginning to think that the driver that KNOPPIX is loading doesn't work, if you look at my first post, in lsmod output, you see "sis900" and nothing besides it, meaning it is unused or perhaps configured incorrectly.
please help trouble shoot this further...
-
Hey man, I have that SAME PROBLEM! When I used Knoppix 3.2 on my other computer, I was able to connect through my router JUST FINE. No set up necessary.
Now I try Knoppix 3.3 on another computer, and I cannot connect. I know that my network card (linksys) is recognized correctly, I tried a BUNCH of stuff, but in the end I couldn't get it to work. Yes this is with a HD-Install of Knoppix. I planned on upgrading my stuff with Debian programs, but I can't get online to do so 
I decided to just leave XP on that computer, since I was just using it as a file-sharing computer anyways...
I would suggest you to try Knoppix 3.2 instead of 3.3? Maybe that will work for you. I like 3.2 better anyway, it comes with a task manager (for when programs freeze), AND it has QTPartition (3.3 probably has it I just couldn't find it. I wasn't on 3.3 that long so its possible it has it.)
-
Look around this board man
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...asc&highlight=
It seems like 3.3 has problems with networking. like I said before, 3.2 worked fine with another computer using the same router!
My suggestion, use 3.2.
-
Thanks dodge for your input, but i'm not ready to give up so soon...
Perhaps you can post your lsmod as well as the contents of your interfases file, and if you can the ifconfig eth0 output.
we can get through this together!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dimkal
i'm beginning to think that the driver that KNOPPIX is loading doesn't work, if you look at my first post, in lsmod output, you see "sis900" and nothing besides it, meaning it is unused or perhaps configured incorrectly.
please help trouble shoot this further...
You are correct the zero beside the module means it is not in use. Could you post the output of lspci -v and dmesg | grep eth0 so I can see if the card is detected properly also a few more details on the hardware in the computer could be helpful. Also have you went in the BIOS and disabled the Plug'n'Play OS setting if it has one? When you get your settings from the network do you have a direct connection using DHCP or does your ISP use PPPoE? On my network I have the option of using either static or DHCP settings can you do similar? Another question did knoppix connect from the CD before you installed to the HD and what version did you use? Basically post as much information as you think is relevant and one more thing have you tried to run netcardconfig again after the install?
-
-
good idea,
so i'm Knoppix 3.3 on P4. The computer is connected directly to my cable modem. Windows partition obtains all the network information through DHCP clien from the modem, so I assume the modem is broadcasting it without any problem.
Knoppix is now installed on my HD. When I boot from KnoppixCD the network is not recognized either.
here's information from my "dmesg | grep eth0"
Code:
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 0.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 1.
eth0: Realtek RTL8201 PHY transceiver found at address 2.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 3.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 4.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 5.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 6.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 7.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 8.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 9.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 10.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 11.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 12.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 13.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 14.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 15.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 16.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 17.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 18.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 19.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 20.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 21.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 22.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 23.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 24.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 25.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 26.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 27.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 28.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 29.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 30.
eth0: Unknown PHY transceiver found at address 31.
eth0: Using transceiver found at address 31 as default
eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xec00, IRQ 19, 00:40:ca:49:8e:68.
I've also ran "netcardcondig" and it failed. When I looked at its script I saw that its using "pump -i eth0" command which fails as well (see my previous post). So I'm all out of luck!
is it possible that this driver does not work? I think i've red some posts that knoppix has trouble with this driver, how can i troubleshoot this?
-
still waiting for help!
is the problem described here beyond the scope of this forum? please suggest any other place where I can find an answer.
Similar Threads
-
By Mattr35 in forum Networking
Replies: 16
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
-
By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
-
By cronex2000 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 09:04 AM
-
By fabry6210 in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 05-27-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By Li Gwai Lo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 01:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00