Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Serial ATA Hard Drive Support

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    Posts
    40

    Serial ATA Hard Drive Support

    Maybe this has been discussed already but if it has i can not find it. I am building a new computer and am looking at Serial ATA drives intently. I was wondering if there is support in Knoppix to handle it. The controller I am looking at is the integrated one on the A7N8X Asus board. All help and opinions are very welcome.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    This is a kernel issue and I doubt it is supported, as of now. may be 2.4.21 would.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1

    reply to duffin444

    I have a VIPOWER pci host card and a 160 gig SATA HD and successfully installed Knoppix. The only other Linux Dist. I can get to work with SATA is Redhat 9.0. I haven't tried any integrated SATA connectors yet.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57
    I just installed a Western Digital Raptor and a Promise SATA150 TX4 controller. It seems that Knoppix can't handle this card yet.

    lspci -v reveals:

    00:09.0 Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc.: Unknown devic
    e 3318 (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Promise Technology, Inc.: Unknown device 3318
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 96, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at 1080 [size=64]
    I/O ports at 10e0 [size=16]
    I/O ports at 1000 [size=128]
    Memory at e8004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Memory at e8020000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    I'm running on a Tyan Tiger MPX-4M (dual-Athlon 2Ghz), so I get to use a 66MHz PCI bus and more than 16 IRQs.

    -SUO

Similar Threads

  1. What's the best USB Hard drive to use?
    By Bodhi in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 02:19 AM
  2. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  3. Any Support for digital camera Polariod DC320 (Serial Port)
    By smarchand291 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-10-2003, 06:13 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 03:44 AM
  5. 2 Q's: Serial console and list of HW support
    By adammorley in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95