-
Junior Member
registered user
Customizing Knoppix
Hi,
I am interested in remastering Knoppix, but to do that I need to know how it works. I was looking for documentation as to how a live distribution differs from a harddrive install, but can only find information about boot.img which contains the initrd, kernel, and linuxrc. I know that the root filesystem has to have some modifications (/var and /tmp have to be writeable), but does anyone know where I can find such documentation or information on Knoppix sites? I am looking at taking a harddrive install and tweaking it to run off a cd.
thanks for your help,
Walter
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Customizing Knoppix
[quote="walterw"]Hi,
I am interested in remastering Knoppix, but to do that I need to know how it works. I was looking for documentation as to how a live distribution differs from a harddrive install, but can only find information about boot.img which contains the initrd, kernel, and linuxrc. I know that the root filesystem has to have some modifications (/var and /tmp have to be writeable), but does anyone know where I can find such documentation or information on Knoppix sites? I am looking at taking a harddrive install and tweaking it to run off a cd.[quote]
Sorry but to remaster Knoppix or to debootstrap sid and add Knoppers scripts and make a live cd you dont need to know how all that works.I have been this stuff for a year and I dont know how it work.It wont be a bad thing to learn but all the information you need to successfully build your own live cd is right here on this site your reading this on now.Try the docs link and the remastering forum.Also see Knoppers site,the mail archives and use google and search things like "klaus knopper" "remaster knoppix" "remastering knoppix" and you will be supprised what you will find.Read Knoppers talks and papers you can find on his site but all the info you need to remaster is right here on this site if you look.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Customizing Knoppix

Originally Posted by
walterw
Hi,
I am interested in remastering Knoppix, but to do that I need to know how it works. I was looking for documentation as to how a live distribution differs from a harddrive install, but can only find information about boot.img which contains the initrd, kernel, and linuxrc. I know that the root filesystem has to have some modifications (/var and /tmp have to be writeable), but does anyone know where I can find such documentation or information on Knoppix sites? I am looking at taking a harddrive install and tweaking it to run off a cd.
thanks for your help,
Walter
documentation is in the source, basically everything is in boot.img, check the linuxrc and the directory structure as well as those symbolic links. Quite easy to understand but I can tell you Klaus has spent a lot of time to figure out what files needs to be symlink, what files needs to be real file etc, go through the linuxrc.
I am doing similar thing with a slightly different perspective, how to turn a standard debian into a potential live CD(that is, the root file system is fully functional on read only media). There is similar package called bootcd in debian depository but I am aiming at just dropped a shell script in the rcS.d.
-
Junior Member
registered user
live debian
Hi Gary,
I am interested in doing a similar task like yours - I am trying to make a standard install live. I would prefer to do this on RedHat. I read the linuxrc file and I think that that may have been the entire reason I could not boot RedHat live, that is, I was using a standard RedHat install in which case the linuxrc was setup for a read/write root filesystem specifically for harddrive installs. I think I have a backup copy of my root filesystem. I will have to try this out... Eventually if I figure this thing out, I would like to use a framebuffer to show the boot status and have a cool background image of some sort. Does bootsplash only work for lilo? If I get this figured out, hopefully I can write a simple script that automates the task of making a live filesystem from a standard hd install and eventually from install iso's directly.
Similar Threads
-
By lestat730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-23-2005, 08:28 AM
-
By stardactyl in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 08:02 PM
-
By praveen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 10:48 PM
-
By noj in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2003, 04:03 AM
-
By freeballer in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT
$225.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99