Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Finally made a nice mini (209 mg)

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49

    Finally made a nice mini (209 mg)

    As advised I started out with Knoppix-Lite. I stripped out KDE and added Fluxbox. I wanted a mini that would give me a some tools to work and some toys for messing around.

    In KDE's place I added:
    Abiword + English version
    Phoenix (apt-get version)
    Flash player (sitting inside Phoenix)
    Mplayer
    Emelfm
    Vim
    Flite (small text to speech utility)
    gftp
    tinyirc
    Gkrellm
    XPilot
    The Gimp
    Xchat (if it wasn't already there, can't emember )

    Knoppix-Lite already had a lot of nice apps, and I left most of them in place.
    If anybody wants a copy of it I'll look into puting it up on someone's ftp server.

    Next I want t see if I could make an X enabled BBC (sub 50mb) out of Knoppix, again, it wouldn't really be a rescue disk like lnk-bbc, more like a toy with some fun but small apps and light desktop tools.

  2. #2
    bhsx
    Guest

    how did you change desktops?

    That looks like a lot of the changes i've made to knoppix as well, however, I'm having a hard time switching the default WM.
    I've changed it in several places, everywhere I've found in these howtos; but everytime I get it to boot into fluxbox I get an error about kdeinit not found. How do you get rid of that? Also, if you happen to know this... how do you launch an app and make sure it's persistant after launching the WM, a la knoppix-MAME?

    I've got a cable modem that I COULD host your iso on, I have a couple of mine on there, but it's slow as heck (128kbs upstream). I'd like to test your's out, nonetheless, you can reply in this forum or email: bhsx AT bhsx DOT yi DOT org

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49
    Hi bhsx,
    I cheated there. I used the /etc/init.d/xsession from Alex's KnopNL -- All I did was replace his path to ICEwm with the path to Fluxbox. It worked fine.

    Thanks for the offer, but I'm sure you need all that 128kbs -- there should be some place on the net where I can dump the iso for people to grab.

    My email is [email protected] -- if you send me your ftp info I'll upload the iso for you.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49
    Here is a screen shot until I find a FTP home for the ISO.
    http://cgi-fun.hypermart.net/linux-s...ll_knoppix.jpg

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    France
    Posts
    18
    is this project dead ?

    it's exactly what i search maybe:
    removing all WM and install fluxbox
    HDinstall <=500 mo



    erf i'm too lame to do my own remastering, maybe i'll do it someday ^^

Similar Threads

  1. Finally Knoppix up and running into my HD, but...
    By xaviers2002 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 09:58 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 Finally got sound to work
    By SunnyB in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 03:39 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-06-2004, 08:28 AM
  4. apt-get upgrade made huge changes to system
    By bb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 05:47 AM
  5. Trying to get Knoppix cds made
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95