-
Sync Sharp Zaurus SL-C760 to Knoppix with TCP/IP via USB
The Sharp Zaurus SL-C760 can talk TCP/IP to Knoppix via USB. This means I can go to anyone's PC, boot from a Knoppix LiveCD, insmod one file from a floppy (or the network) and then set up TCP/IP via USB to the Zaurus, all without having to mess with the host PC's drivers or even touch its hard drive.
Here's what I did:
0) Boot Knoppix, open a root shell. (I used Knoppix 3.3 2003-09-24, but most recent versions should work)
1) Download and unpack http://home.earthlink.net/~cocoadev/...ndalone.tar.gz
2) Apply this diff to usbnet.c:
Code:
1428a1429,1438
> static const struct driver_info zaurus_slc760_info = {
> /* Japanese C760 ~= US SL-C760 */
> .description = "Sharp Zaurus SL-C760",
> .flags = FLAG_FRAMING_Z,
> .check_connect = always_connected,
> .tx_fixup = zaurus_tx_fixup,
> .in = 1, .out = 2,
> .epsize = 64,
> };
2404a2415,2423
> }, {
> .match_flags = USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_INT_INFO
> | USB_DEVICE_ID_MATCH_DEVICE,
> .idVendor = 0x04DD,
> .idProduct = 0x9031,
> .bInterfaceClass = 0x02,
> .bInterfaceSubClass = 0x0a,
> .bInterfaceProtocol = 0x00,
> .driver_info = (unsigned long) &zaurus_slc760_info,
3) make (might need to adjust LINUX_DIR in Makefile first)
4) insmod ./usbnet.o
5) ifconfig usb0 192.168.129.1
6) ping 192.168.129.201
7) mount //192.168.129.201/home /mnt/test
... and now Knoppix should be able to browse the Z's filesystem at /mnt/test, or telnet into the Z at 192.168.129.201, whatever. If you want the Z to have full internet access using the Knoppix PC as a gateway, then you'll have to set up routing and NAT.
I saved usbnet.o to a floppy so I can skip steps 1-3 in the future. Should probably put a script on the floppy to automate the insmod/ifconfig/mount steps too. If I was really ambitious I'd remaster the Knoppix CD so it would just boot with the custom usbnet.o already loaded. But I would expect this to make it into the mainstream soon enough anyway, there will probably be a future Knoppix release that supports usbnet to the C760 right out of the box.
-
Did you get this through dynamism? How do you like it?
-

Originally Posted by
rneff
Did you get this through dynamism? How do you like it?
Yes, Dynamism loaned me a C760 for review. I'll post a link when the review is ready in a few weeks, but so far in general I like it a lot.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
jdiercks
... but so far in general I like it a lot.
I bet you do!!! Thanks for the tip. Wish I had one
-
so how did you get the Zaurus to sync with Knoppix? It looks like you just got networking going but sync'ing means synchronizing the PIM applications with something on the desktop. What applications where you able to synchronized data with? Kaddressbook? KOrganizer?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Zaurus + Knoippix
I can ping my Zaurus (SL-A300) but when I try to mount the file system it asks for password ! Not sure what should I be entering here
Similar Threads
-
By BlueStang in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-02-2005, 01:00 AM
-
By Aldago in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
-
By SolarCat in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 05:08 AM
-
By lothario in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 01:32 AM
-
By Leeb in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 07:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

Lot of 4 IBM 52Y4089 POWER7 CPU Processor Modules Server CPUs
$49.99

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$54.99