This is simple, but did you check all your permission settings?
Hi, I've checked the archives and haven't been able to see my problem addressed. If this is a redundant post, please forgive me and point me towards the relevant post.
When I boot from the Knoppix cd I am able to read from my FAT32 partitions, but not write to or delete.
After I did a hard drive install, Debian now boots but I am unable to read these partitions. fstab does indicate that these partitions exist, but I'm not able to mount these partitions. I have tried a few different commands to no avail.
I'm under a bit of a time constraint as I'm going on tour in three weeks and would like to get a bunch of the data on the fat32 partitions onto discs. I have tried reinstalling windows and have run into huge problems there.
Any help that could be provided would be great, and responses off-list are okay.
ultimates[at]thewailingultimates.com
This is simple, but did you check all your permission settings?
this may be naive but i assumed that if i was logged in as root i'd have full administrative permissions.
as i type this i'm running the knoppix live cd again. i've changed the writable status of all partitions which solves the deletion problem (funny how patient observation can come in handy). once i move them off this computer to my ftp i'm going to change all partitions to ext2 and start from scratch. thanks for your quick reply, sorry if this was a waste
As root, go to /etc/fstab
open it up in an editor and remove any lines begining with a # except the one which starts
# partitions found by Knoppix
you can then reboot and do (as root)
mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt
(take the cue from /etc/fstab as to what the hd? should actually be)
cd to /mnt
do an ls
and you should see all your Windows stuff. (If you want to do it graphically, try Kmenu > Systems > More Programs > File Manager Super User Mode).
This assumes a HD install.
or maybe cd to /mnt and add the mountpoints...at least i have to.
* * * * * *Thanks, fingers99, I had the identical problem and that fixed it right up. I am still having a problem, though. I don't know how to keep those FAT32 Partitions mounted the next time I boot up, or, barring that, get Linux to re-mount them automatically on startup. Any ideas (anyone)Originally Posted by fingers99
You can tell, I'm really new to Linux.
Post your /etc/fstab file
~rock
* * * *After digging for a while online, I changed my fstab to this:
* * * *It seems to work, but when I log in as somebody other than root, the drive will appear mounted on my Desktop, but the partition will be empty when I click it.*Code:/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 /dev/hdb6 none swap sw 0 0 /dev/hda6 /mnt/Documents vfat defaults 0 0 /dev/hdb7 /mnt/Multimedia vfat defaults 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0 /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 # partitions found by Knoppix

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive
$53.99
HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00
Western Digital WD2003FYYS-05T9B0 2TB 7.2K SATA 3.5'' Enterprise Hard Drive
$30.76
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUS726060AL5210 0F22791 6TB 7.2K 3.5" SAS HDD Enterprise Storage Drive
$78.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99