-
after knoppix hdinstall fat32 partitions not available
Hi, I've checked the archives and haven't been able to see my problem addressed. If this is a redundant post, please forgive me and point me towards the relevant post.
When I boot from the Knoppix cd I am able to read from my FAT32 partitions, but not write to or delete.
After I did a hard drive install, Debian now boots but I am unable to read these partitions. fstab does indicate that these partitions exist, but I'm not able to mount these partitions. I have tried a few different commands to no avail.
I'm under a bit of a time constraint as I'm going on tour in three weeks and would like to get a bunch of the data on the fat32 partitions onto discs. I have tried reinstalling windows and have run into huge problems there.
Any help that could be provided would be great, and responses off-list are okay.
ultimates[at]thewailingultimates.com
-
This is simple, but did you check all your permission settings?
-
this may be naive but i assumed that if i was logged in as root i'd have full administrative permissions.
as i type this i'm running the knoppix live cd again. i've changed the writable status of all partitions which solves the deletion problem (funny how patient observation can come in handy). once i move them off this computer to my ftp i'm going to change all partitions to ext2 and start from scratch. thanks for your quick reply, sorry if this was a waste
-
Senior Member
registered user
As root, go to /etc/fstab
open it up in an editor and remove any lines begining with a # except the one which starts
# partitions found by Knoppix
you can then reboot and do (as root)
mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt
(take the cue from /etc/fstab as to what the hd? should actually be)
cd to /mnt
do an ls
and you should see all your Windows stuff. (If you want to do it graphically, try Kmenu > Systems > More Programs > File Manager Super User Mode).
This assumes a HD install.
-
Senior Member
registered user
or maybe cd to /mnt and add the mountpoints...at least i have to.
-
Junior Member
registered user
RE: FAT32 Partitions

Originally Posted by
fingers99
As root, go to /etc/fstab
open it up in an editor and remove any lines begining with a # except the one which starts
# partitions found by Knoppix
you can then reboot and do (as root)
mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt
(take the cue from /etc/fstab as to what the hd? should actually be)
* * * * * *Thanks, fingers99, I had the identical problem and that fixed it right up. I am still having a problem, though. I don't know how to keep those FAT32 Partitions mounted the next time I boot up, or, barring that, get Linux to re-mount them automatically on startup. Any ideas (anyone)
You can tell, I'm really new to Linux.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Post your /etc/fstab file
~rock
-
Junior Member
registered user
* * * *After digging for a while online, I changed my fstab to this:
Code:
/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb6 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/Documents vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb7 /mnt/Multimedia vfat defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# partitions found by Knoppix
* * * *It seems to work, but when I log in as somebody other than root, the drive will appear mounted on my Desktop, but the partition will be empty when I click it.*
Similar Threads
-
By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:50 AM
-
By a2ilindia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:13 AM
-
By John in Brisbane in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
-
By Pex_boa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:20 PM
-
By pc_dev in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-27-2003, 08:50 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW
$30.89

Samsung - Galaxy Tab S12 Ultra/S11 Ultra Pro Keyboard - Silver
$229.99

SAMSUNG GALAXY BOOK 6 - 14" Intel Ultra 7 355 16GB RAM/512GB Win11 *BARELY USED
$850.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem
$152.99

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99

Samsung T5 1000GB External (MU-PA1T0B/AM) Portable SSD w/ USB-C - USB-A Cable
$109.99

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible
$39.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+
$133.00

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US
$51.77