This is simple, but did you check all your permission settings?
Hi, I've checked the archives and haven't been able to see my problem addressed. If this is a redundant post, please forgive me and point me towards the relevant post.
When I boot from the Knoppix cd I am able to read from my FAT32 partitions, but not write to or delete.
After I did a hard drive install, Debian now boots but I am unable to read these partitions. fstab does indicate that these partitions exist, but I'm not able to mount these partitions. I have tried a few different commands to no avail.
I'm under a bit of a time constraint as I'm going on tour in three weeks and would like to get a bunch of the data on the fat32 partitions onto discs. I have tried reinstalling windows and have run into huge problems there.
Any help that could be provided would be great, and responses off-list are okay.
ultimates[at]thewailingultimates.com
This is simple, but did you check all your permission settings?
this may be naive but i assumed that if i was logged in as root i'd have full administrative permissions.
as i type this i'm running the knoppix live cd again. i've changed the writable status of all partitions which solves the deletion problem (funny how patient observation can come in handy). once i move them off this computer to my ftp i'm going to change all partitions to ext2 and start from scratch. thanks for your quick reply, sorry if this was a waste
As root, go to /etc/fstab
open it up in an editor and remove any lines begining with a # except the one which starts
# partitions found by Knoppix
you can then reboot and do (as root)
mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt
(take the cue from /etc/fstab as to what the hd? should actually be)
cd to /mnt
do an ls
and you should see all your Windows stuff. (If you want to do it graphically, try Kmenu > Systems > More Programs > File Manager Super User Mode).
This assumes a HD install.
or maybe cd to /mnt and add the mountpoints...at least i have to.
* * * * * *Thanks, fingers99, I had the identical problem and that fixed it right up. I am still having a problem, though. I don't know how to keep those FAT32 Partitions mounted the next time I boot up, or, barring that, get Linux to re-mount them automatically on startup. Any ideas (anyone)Originally Posted by fingers99
You can tell, I'm really new to Linux.
Post your /etc/fstab file
~rock
* * * *After digging for a while online, I changed my fstab to this:
* * * *It seems to work, but when I log in as somebody other than root, the drive will appear mounted on my Desktop, but the partition will be empty when I click it.*Code:/dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 /dev/hdb6 none swap sw 0 0 /dev/hda6 /mnt/Documents vfat defaults 0 0 /dev/hdb7 /mnt/Multimedia vfat defaults 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0 /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 # partitions found by Knoppix

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD
$199.95
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99
Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware
$89.99