Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: after knoppix hdinstall fat32 partitions not available

  1. #1

    after knoppix hdinstall fat32 partitions not available

    Hi, I've checked the archives and haven't been able to see my problem addressed. If this is a redundant post, please forgive me and point me towards the relevant post.
    When I boot from the Knoppix cd I am able to read from my FAT32 partitions, but not write to or delete.
    After I did a hard drive install, Debian now boots but I am unable to read these partitions. fstab does indicate that these partitions exist, but I'm not able to mount these partitions. I have tried a few different commands to no avail.
    I'm under a bit of a time constraint as I'm going on tour in three weeks and would like to get a bunch of the data on the fat32 partitions onto discs. I have tried reinstalling windows and have run into huge problems there.
    Any help that could be provided would be great, and responses off-list are okay.
    ultimates[at]thewailingultimates.com

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    This is simple, but did you check all your permission settings?

  3. #3
    this may be naive but i assumed that if i was logged in as root i'd have full administrative permissions.
    as i type this i'm running the knoppix live cd again. i've changed the writable status of all partitions which solves the deletion problem (funny how patient observation can come in handy). once i move them off this computer to my ftp i'm going to change all partitions to ext2 and start from scratch. thanks for your quick reply, sorry if this was a waste

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    As root, go to /etc/fstab

    open it up in an editor and remove any lines begining with a # except the one which starts

    # partitions found by Knoppix

    you can then reboot and do (as root)

    mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt

    (take the cue from /etc/fstab as to what the hd? should actually be)

    cd to /mnt

    do an ls

    and you should see all your Windows stuff. (If you want to do it graphically, try Kmenu > Systems > More Programs > File Manager Super User Mode).

    This assumes a HD install.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100
    or maybe cd to /mnt and add the mountpoints...at least i have to.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10

    RE: FAT32 Partitions

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    As root, go to /etc/fstab

    open it up in an editor and remove any lines begining with a # except the one which starts

    # partitions found by Knoppix

    you can then reboot and do (as root)

    mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt

    (take the cue from /etc/fstab as to what the hd? should actually be)
    * * * * * *Thanks, fingers99, I had the identical problem and that fixed it right up. I am still having a problem, though. I don't know how to keep those FAT32 Partitions mounted the next time I boot up, or, barring that, get Linux to re-mount them automatically on startup. Any ideas (anyone) You can tell, I'm really new to Linux.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Post your /etc/fstab file

    ~rock

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10
    * * * *After digging for a while online, I changed my fstab to this:

    Code:
    /dev/hda3  /  ext2  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
    /dev/hdb6  none  swap  sw  0  0
    
    /dev/hda6 /mnt/Documents vfat defaults 0 0
    /dev/hdb7 /mnt/Multimedia vfat defaults 0 0
    
    proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
    /dev/fd0  /floppy  vfat  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
    /dev/cdrom  /cdrom  iso9660  defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto  0  0
    # partitions found by Knoppix
    * * * *It seems to work, but when I log in as somebody other than root, the drive will appear mounted on my Desktop, but the partition will be empty when I click it.*

Similar Threads

  1. should i use fat32 for win partitions instead of ntfs?
    By Josh83 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:50 AM
  2. unable to view/access my win98se(fat32) partitions
    By a2ilindia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 02:13 AM
  3. FAT32 Partitions with Knoppix
    By John in Brisbane in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:27 PM
  4. i cann't access my fat32 and ntfs partitions from knoppix
    By Pex_boa in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:20 PM
  5. Cannot see FAT32 nor NTFS partitions (WinXp related?)
    By pc_dev in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1 | 32GB PC4-2666V ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$184.95



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17 picture

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17

$3.35



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00



SABRENT 74 in 1 3.5 Inch Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer with USB Port ( picture

SABRENT 74 in 1 3.5 Inch Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer with USB Port (

$11.88