Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Minimum Space for HDD Install?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    20

    Minimum Space for HDD Install?

    Hi, I'm thinking about installing Knoppix into a partition formerly occupied by Mandrake. Here's my partition scheme:

    hda1: 7.7 GB (Win98 FAT32)
    hda2: 2.7 GB (ReiserFS RH9)
    hda3: 256 MB (Linux Swap)
    hda4: 2.0 GB (XFS MDK 9)

    Will Knoppix 3.3 fit on hda4? I know the CD contains 1800 MB of data uncompressed, but I read somewhere that 2.2 or 3 GB are needed for an HD install. I really can't resize my other OS partitions, and besides my common swap partition is between hda2 and hda4 (oops), so it wouldn't do any good to resize hda2. I do have 3.8 GB of free space on hda1, and 400 MB on hda2. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100

    Re: Minimum Space for HDD Install?

    asaik the new knoppix-installer check for a minimum size partition of 2.2gig.

    I have edited the old knx-hdinstall script for use on mini cd's and that script is still included on knoppix in /usr/local/bin

    Just look for the live about FS=2200 and change it to 2000 or so and hope for the best.I think I changed 3 lines in that aera.

    You can then run the edited installer from the ramdisk.

    Why not try qtparted and make a little mose space.


    If you install full Knoppix on only 2gig you better nuke libarts1 (kills kde) or at least apt-get remove kde-i18n* and install then run localepurge and make some room.I got it down to 200meg with X for the final iso size and I am writing this now chrooted to ram on a pure sid console edition thats 54meg uncompressed and 20meg compressed

    tech2k

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for the help! Do you know if there's a config file for knoppix-installer that I can edit similarly? Or, is there a way to customise which packages are installed onto the HDD?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by sb73542
    Thanks for the help! Do you know if there's a config file for knoppix-installer that I can edit similarly? Or, is there a way to customise which packages are installed onto the HDD?
    Fabian has said many times that you just run the installer and create a config (step 1 i think) then exit and edit that config so get riserfs,say no to kdm and what-not.I have only used that installer once and it was on 7-26 knoppix and when i didnt get the chioce to boot to cli (say no to kdm) I went back to the old installer.I am not sure where the new installer saves the config but it can be done

    As for customizing the package selection..no you just have to install it all and nuke what you dont want afaik.Thats another advantage of debootstraping and building what u want in the first place and later I may try and take my sid+knx scripts and make an installer like the gentoo stages but you pick a kernel and a testing or sid base (woody is just to old) and it installs that with some custom pkgs u select then upgrade or as another option it will go online and debootstrap the latest base to start with...so many things to do.thats one of my plans anyway but for now im just building new modules and perfecting the live cd part.

    Good luck

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech2k
    I am not sure where the new installer saves the config but it can be done

    That has been my problem...not being able to find the .knofig (or whatever it's called) file.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech2k
    I am not sure where the new installer saves the config but it can be done

    That has been my problem...not being able to find the .knofig (or whatever it's called) file.
    That's what it is called it should have been created in the directory that you executed the knoppix-installer script from and saved the configuration.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    [quote="Stephen"]
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    That's what it is called it should have been created in the directory that you executed the knoppix-installer script from and saved the configuration.
    I think the saving step is the key. I thought saving was necessary only if you wanted to use the config on other installs. Now I realize that unless you do this it wont be able to see the config options and tweak them.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Minimum Knoppix?
    By mjoolnir in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 04:49 PM
  2. Minimum Requirements for Laptops
    By pstroka_taran in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 06:42 AM
  3. minimum Knoppix
    By Gromit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 11:31 PM
  4. Minimum Package Requirements
    By Dacicus in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 08:58 AM
  5. Minimum package list for KNOPPIX?
    By Steve F in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00