-
Senior Member
registered user
Making changes permanent - overriding boot auto-detection?
I'm really pleased with Knoppix, this is as far as I 've ever made it with Linux and I can see me ditching Windows sooooooon. (Dual boot at present). With the help of this forum I've been able to set Knoppix up for what I need, but not make the changes permanent so I have to manually put the commands in each session!
I appreciate that there are text files to make these changes permanent, just not where they are, or where is the correct place when you have a choice..... It's just for the one user (me) at the moment but system-wide is also fine.
I have downloaded and printed the 229 page 'Debian Reference' manual, but until I've read that..... anyone know where to add these changes so they are loaded at boot? Many thanks, Stuart.....
1). Enable DMA on for hardrives and CD/DVD-ROM drives ('/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdx') and turn buffers on.
2). Enable read-write on all mounted volumes ('mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdx')
3). Automatically run Arno's IPtables-Firewall script, to setup 'ICS' (maquerading and NAT). ('/etc/rc.d/rc.iptables start')
Some other things I haven't been able to do (yet?) include importing my 1000s of emails from Outlook Express 6, 'print' to my plotter in hpgl (no ideas on that one!) and scanning.
(The list of things I can do is growing all the time, (like being able to install packages!!!) - but this is a long enough post already!
Stuart.....)
-
If you are not going to make this a HD install, you are going to have to remaster knoppix with those options.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is a hard-disc install, you'll scare a newbie (me) using big words like 'remaster'!!!!
Thanks, Stu.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, another one I noticed, have 'cups' run automatically in a new session.
Cheers, Stu.....
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Making changes permanent - overriding boot auto-detectio

Originally Posted by
stukennedyuk
1). Enable DMA on for hardrives and CD/DVD-ROM drives ('/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdx') and turn buffers on.
3). Automatically run Arno's IPtables-Firewall script, to setup 'ICS' (maquerading and NAT). ('/etc/rc.d/rc.iptables start')
Add these lines to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh:
Code:
# Added by me for DMA
/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdx
/sbin/hdparm -qd1 /dev/hdx
# Added by me for firewall
if [ -r /etc/rc.d/rc.iptables ]; then
. /etc/rc.d/rc.iptables
fi
2). Enable read-write on all mounted volumes ('mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdx')
Post your /etc/fstab so I can see the permissions when mounted generally you would want rw in the line instead of ro. Not sure about the rest.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It seems to ignore my entries. bootmisc.sh has other stuff in it, so it must do something. When does bootmisc.sh get run? Is it early in the boot sequence, could these settings get overwritten by the autoconfiguration, just after?
Stu.....
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
stukennedyuk
It seems to ignore my entries. bootmisc.sh has other stuff in it, so it must do something. When does bootmisc.sh get run? Is it early in the boot sequence, could these settings get overwritten by the autoconfiguration, just after?
Stu.....
Auto-configuration?? How did you install with the knx-hdinstall or the new knoppix-installer if the new which mode debian or knoppix? AFAIK the bootmisc.sh is one of the last scripts run nothing should be overriding it.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Scaring in remastering????
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
stukennedyuk
It seems to ignore my entries...
You need to make the changes as root. That should be the only thing keeping the changes from sticking.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Okay-dokey, I've done some reading. (Debian reference manual) It will be a while before I understand it though!
This is how it works.....
Linux boots by running 'init' - the config file for 'init' (/etc/initab) specifies that the first script to run should be /etc/init.d/rcS which runs all of the scripts in /etc/rcS.d/ ('d' for directory?) - in alphanumeric order. This is where Klaus has put his clever autoconfig script, S00knoppix-autoconfig - the one that checks what hardware is being used and writes the correct config entries.
If you view this script, you can pick up bits that can be recognised by the messages appearing during boot, e.g. 'running from HD, regenerate....' and 'processor 0 is.....' and so on.
At some point the scripts in the appropriate run level directory are run, e.g. /etc/rc5.d for run level (init level?) '5' - I think this is the best place for me to add a script that overrides the autodetected values. It seems a bit perverse to do it this way, autodetect then overwrite, but it should work? I'll try later.
Just thought I'd share this with you!
Stu.....
Similar Threads
-
By adaptit in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-01-2005, 04:16 PM
-
By pelagic in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-14-2004, 09:10 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 05:10 PM
-
By Pasq in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2003, 10:50 PM
-
By Mycroft1855 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-20-2003, 10:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim Black, Antimicrobial, English QWERTY EF-DT730
$55.00

Samsung Chromebook 11.6" Intel Celeron Chrome OS Gray (Charger Inc)
$22.00

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem
$98.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$89.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung 840 EVO 1 TB Internal 2.5 SSD Solid State Drive S/N S1D9NSAFB08570
$389.00

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00