Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Downloading & Running new linux software

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    Downloading & Running new linux software

    Hi. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use Windows to download a linux application and save it to a NTFS hdd. Then boot up to Knoppix and run the linux software from the hdd.

    I've read through the FAQs and I'm aware that Knoppix can't write to NTFS, but since it can read I'm assuming this is possible. I was just thinking of this (as I am impatiantly downloading knoppx) since ive seen a lot of free linux apps out there that I'd like to try out and they might not be on the Knoppix CD.

    I'm sorry, but I'm a n00b to...everything.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Downloading & Running new linux software

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolnat2004
    Hi. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use Windows to download a linux application and save it to a NTFS hdd, then boot up to Knoppix and run the linux software from the hdd. I've read through the FAQs and I'm aware that Knoppix can't write to NTFS, but since it can read I'm assuming this is possible
    Most Linux apps are compressed in some way and must be extracted to be installed. Even if you downloaded an app to the NTFS drive via Windows, you would have nowhere to extract it to.

    I found, in my case, that adding a cheap hard drive formatted with a Linux and a vFAT partition worked best--I installed Knoppix to the new drive and both Windows and Linux see and share the vFAT partition.

    Knoppix (free) plus new HD (cheap) = more storage for Windows and a dual boot system--for cheaper than most operating systems alone.

    If you don't want the Windows boot record messed with, you can skip installing LiLo to the Master Boot Record and use GAGboot from floppy: http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -- Michael Rudas
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

Similar Threads

  1. Software for Linux
    By Seyyapc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM
  2. PROBLEMS INSTALLING LINUX SOFTWARE!?!?!?!
    By lee1212 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:31 PM
  3. Antivirus Software for Linux?
    By aravind in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 11:27 PM
  4. Network Inventory Software for Linux?
    By david_eliasson in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 11:25 AM
  5. install additional linux software
    By joe56 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) NVMe picture

Samsung PM961 256GB,Internal (MZ-VLW2560) NVMe

$28.90



Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim EF-DT730 Black picture

Samsung Book Cover Keyboard Slim EF-DT730 Black

$80.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



Samsung Galaxy  Tab S10 Ultra SM-X920 14.6

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Ultra SM-X920 14.6" 256GB WiFi With S-Pen Gray *Extras

$679.00



Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US

$51.77