Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Downloading & Running new linux software

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    18

    Downloading & Running new linux software

    Hi. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use Windows to download a linux application and save it to a NTFS hdd. Then boot up to Knoppix and run the linux software from the hdd.

    I've read through the FAQs and I'm aware that Knoppix can't write to NTFS, but since it can read I'm assuming this is possible. I was just thinking of this (as I am impatiantly downloading knoppx) since ive seen a lot of free linux apps out there that I'd like to try out and they might not be on the Knoppix CD.

    I'm sorry, but I'm a n00b to...everything.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    Re: Downloading & Running new linux software

    Quote Originally Posted by Coolnat2004
    Hi. I was just wondering if it would be possible to use Windows to download a linux application and save it to a NTFS hdd, then boot up to Knoppix and run the linux software from the hdd. I've read through the FAQs and I'm aware that Knoppix can't write to NTFS, but since it can read I'm assuming this is possible
    Most Linux apps are compressed in some way and must be extracted to be installed. Even if you downloaded an app to the NTFS drive via Windows, you would have nowhere to extract it to.

    I found, in my case, that adding a cheap hard drive formatted with a Linux and a vFAT partition worked best--I installed Knoppix to the new drive and both Windows and Linux see and share the vFAT partition.

    Knoppix (free) plus new HD (cheap) = more storage for Windows and a dual boot system--for cheaper than most operating systems alone.

    If you don't want the Windows boot record messed with, you can skip installing LiLo to the Master Boot Record and use GAGboot from floppy: http://gag.sourceforge.net/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -- Michael Rudas
    Metro Detroit Linux Users' Group: http://www.MDLUG.org
    PengiuCon 2.0, April 2004: http://www.PenguiCon.org

Similar Threads

  1. Software for Linux
    By Seyyapc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 12:51 AM
  2. PROBLEMS INSTALLING LINUX SOFTWARE!?!?!?!
    By lee1212 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 05:31 PM
  3. Antivirus Software for Linux?
    By aravind in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-14-2003, 11:27 PM
  4. Network Inventory Software for Linux?
    By david_eliasson in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 11:25 AM
  5. install additional linux software
    By joe56 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO) picture

Intel 8080A Vintage ceramic chip - 1 leg missing w/ some corrosion (BO)

$75.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$699.99



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99



Lot of 3 Toshiba Satellite Vintage Laptops - T2130CS, Pro 405CS, 110CS picture

Lot of 3 Toshiba Satellite Vintage Laptops - T2130CS, Pro 405CS, 110CS

$55.00



247 Lot 5.25

247 Lot 5.25" Floppy Disks Vintage Used Turbo Pascal CAD Data Files IBM PC DOS

$199.99



EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS picture

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS

$54.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00