Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cannot boot up from floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    Cannot boot up from floppy

    Hi,

    I want to use Knoppix in my Dell laptop with external CD-ROM and external floppy. There are two partitions - C: ntfs, D: fat32 in my harddisk. I can boot up knoppix using CD-ROM. However, I can't boot it up using 'poorman' install from floppy. It prompts out "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

    I also try to use options "tohd" when booting up from CD-ROM. Another error prompts out "cannot mount the dev ....." (i forgot the exact wording). It also drops me to the knoppix# shell. Anybody can help ?

    thanks
    Vincent

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: Cannot boot up from floppy

    Quote Originally Posted by vincent
    Hi,

    I want to use Knoppix in my Dell laptop with external CD-ROM and external floppy. There are two partitions - C: ntfs, D: fat32 in my harddisk. I can boot up knoppix using CD-ROM. However, I can't boot it up using 'poorman' install from floppy. It prompts out "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

    I also try to use options "tohd" when booting up from CD-ROM. Another error prompts out "cannot mount the dev ....." (i forgot the exact wording). It also drops me to the knoppix# shell. Anybody can help ?

    thanks
    Vincent
    Where have you put the big(700M) KNOPPIX on the hard disk for the poorman's install ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    I copy it to D:\knoppix and D: drive is Fat32. I also try lowercase and uppercase in directory and file name but same result.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent
    I copy it to D:\knoppix and D: drive is Fat32. I also try lowercase and uppercase in directory and file name but same result.
    so it is d:\knoppix\knoppix ?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    Yes. It is d:\knoppix\knoppix

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by vincent
    Yes. It is d:\knoppix\knoppix
    Try it with just d:\knoppix with the compressed file in the root directory.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    I try it but same result. Same message was prompted.

Similar Threads

  1. help making boot floppy to boot cd rom.
    By niceguy167 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 05:06 AM
  2. Knoppix wont boot with boot floppy
    By proto in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 11:29 PM
  3. BoOt FloPpY
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 09:04 AM
  4. boot freezes, floppy boot o.k.?
    By Prieni in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 02:52 PM
  5. Boot knoppix withough Floppy and CD boot
    By Dan_Netwalker in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 01:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop Processor CPU SR1QJ picture

Intel Core i5-4590 3.3 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop Processor CPU SR1QJ

$10.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99



INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG picture

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG

$299.99