-
?Loading Nvidia Drivers in a HDinstall
Hi, I am a first timer for Linux/knoppix. I have completed a HDinstall for knoppix, I've also installed other versions/"brands" before but never "learned" past that. I'm a CIS major and its come down to where I need to "START" learning to use linux.
So far so good, I'm loving Knoppix, most of my games have versions running in linux
, very excited overall. My "brick wall" at this point however is installing/loading Nvidia Drivers for my G4 4200 128MB AGP 4x(visiontek) video card. The Driver set I'm attemping to use/install is version 1.0-4496. I am also running the most current ver. of knoppix as of this date 10/12/03.
The information I'm looking for is HOW to get to a command prompt only (no "X" running, period.) as the installation requires that no ver. of X be running. Once I'm at the command prompt I can run Nvidia's installation of the drivers and configure my xfree86 file.
Apparently they've changed the "way" you use to install/load drivers into linux. Instead of having two dl's they have made it into ONE package An installation (their words, not mine) package. There was a great thread here: threadhttp://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=960#3848 Spelling out pretty well how to do an install on nvdia's drivers, but as I was saying they have changed the way you go about doing this so...
I have found a tremendous amount of threads on the issue of Video cards/drivers but nothing that aided me specificly. The closest I've gotten to a solution was the thread I've metioned here. I've tried my best on my own so now I need your help. If you feel you have the answer(s)/experience to my question I would greatly appreciate your assitance.
-Jason a.k.a. Tool
P.S. I have to say to you all, what a great community this forum is. A lot of sharing individuals, I've learned alot already just visiting this forum and going through the threads. I hope I'll eventually be able to contribute some as well. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Similar Threads
-
By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
-
By nlight40 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-20-2004, 06:33 PM
-
By naventus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:00 PM
-
By eracerbit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-19-2003, 11:50 PM
-
By slc in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 19
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Inspiron 7500 ENG setup video VHS VID 17500 Sealed 4697T Vintage
$49.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras
$124.99

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot
$316.95

Rare Vintage Commodore Solid State Red LED Calculator 897D w/ box & manual
$49.99

Epson LQ-570+ Vintage Dot Matrix Printer Tested w/Cable - READ
$100.00

Vintage Microsoft Visual Studio.NET Professional Software suite Version 2002 New
$82.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00