Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: This really rocks ....

  1. #1
    hmarq
    Guest

    This really rocks ....

    I have an old dell 3200 PII233 laptop, that once upon a time had a fully functional FreeBSD4.2 install on it with Orinoco wireless in adhoc mode working ... somwhere along the line I decided to screw with it and it never really worked right with anything I tried ... there are some shared interupts that always screwed up the PCMCIA stuff ...

    Anyway, I just replaced the old adhoc wireless stuff with a cheap linksys access point and for yucks I fired up the 1/20 Knoppix in the laptop ... damned if it didn't dhcp itself right on the net ... so emboldend by this I tried the hd install .... took a couple attempts (it was a bad idea to not select ext2 as the fs, ... it kept getting confused between the -bf and -xfs versions of the kernel and not copying stuff ... finally I left it at ext2 and had a fully working knoppix on the hd system ... apt-get update; apt-get upgrade and I'm as happy as I've ever been with this old box!

    Great stuff Knoppix!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Yeah knoppix rocks!

    I tried Libranet 2.0 essentials (supposed to be about the most newbie friendly Deb) and it choked after the partition/format was done because it didn't have a driver for my Samsung burner to read the CD-R and finish the install.

    Knoppix boots up with only one floppy vs Libranet's two floppies. Libranet should just put the basic boot kernel and a boat load of CD drivers instead of wasting space with installation utilities. The installation setup could be finished much easier from the CD's 700Mb than two 1.44Mb floppies.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix rocks and you guys are great!
    By knoppixrox in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 01:58 PM
  2. KNOPPIX ROCKS......but I'm a noob
    By hoy_128 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 02:34 AM
  3. Knoppix Rocks!!!
    By ILoveChessAndCompScience in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 04:22 PM
  4. The new server rocks!
    By aay in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2003, 02:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256  picture

KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256

$22.89



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$25.00