try sudo su on a console.
I must change a file to let my scanner work in Knoppix.
But when I want to save this file , I don't have write permissions. I only can do that as "root".
I already created a password for "Root" , but how can I login as root?
try sudo su on a console.
Well I gurss you know about su and sudo on knoppix live cd to go from $ to #.You say you created the passwd already if so then to login type :Originally Posted by Mogiin
#login root <then passwd when asked>
#login user <then passwd when asked>
$su <passwd when asked>
$login <name and passwd when asked>
#login <name and passwd when asked>
Get the idea?
Hey there;
One of the nicer little tricks in Knoppix is "Run as a different user (GKsu)" You can find it under the K-menu > System > Run as a different user (GKsu).
When it starts, you should type in kedit as the program to run, and make sure it is running as root (you'll see... pretty self-explanatory). From there, open the XXXX.conf file you're editing in the SANE directory and when you're done editing, just save it. Because this program is running as root, you will have the required root permissions.
I find GKsu so useful, I have it's icon in my kicker.
Good luck!
Civ
Thnx , I hope my scanner will work now![]()
Well it's still not working.
I think I logged in as Root , but still can't modify the "hp.conf" file. No write permissions.
Please help...
chmod o+w hp.conf should make the file writeable for root.I think I logged in as Root , but still can't modify the "hp.conf" file. No write permissions.
hw
Thank you , I hope it will work now![]()

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99
SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
LOT of 47 Intel Core i3 6100 x18, I3 7100 x19 I3 8100 x1, I5 8500 x1, I3 9100 x8
$400.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98
Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00