Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Installing RPMS.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    12

    Installing RPMS.

    I am trying to install an rpm that was suggested to me. I have installed knoppix using the knoppix-installer command. I did the Knoppix option, as opposed to the debian one. Reason being is I can't get my wireless usb adapter to work installing it that way. Back to the issue...

    When I start running an rpm to install, it prompts me for the root password, but it doesn't accept it. Most likely because I can go to root without it ever prompting me for a password. It wont take leaving it blank, or the password I assigned during the install. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    In the past, I have opened the root console and changed the password (the command is "passwd") to something I can use.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    12
    That got me past the password issue! Thanks.

    Now what I got when I tried to install it was this

    <home/knoppix/aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander
    That got me past the password issue! Thanks.

    Now what I got when I tried to install it was this

    <home/knoppix/aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm';echo RESULT=$?
    error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory (2)
    error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
    RESULT=1
    Try alien -i aim-1.5.286-1.i386.rpm Knoppix (Debian) uses .deb files for packaging you have to use alien to convert and install. BTW there is a Debian package called gaim which I believe does similar to what you are trying to install.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1
    I did all that with alien and I got another error
    "dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: read-only file system"
    I must tell you that my knoppix actually a live version on a CD. Is there a way I can go around this and install the package in a place where I have write access?

Similar Threads

  1. RPMs?
    By Bucky Ball in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2003, 02:14 PM
  2. Where can I get the source RPMs
    By estranged in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 10:03 AM
  3. installing knoppix vs installing Linux from scratch
    By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech picture

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech

$747.99