hi ya,
this distro might give you some clues, their archives might have a bit more info too.
http://flonix.tuxfamily.org/
reece
Dear Friends,
These days I am trying to do the following:
I have an external USB Hard disk and this is connected to a PC that doesn’t support Booting from USB.
I installed Knoppix on this USB Hard disk (using Knoppix-install) and everything went perfect. So far so good BUT I have not found any way how to boot this Knoppix-Linux Installation.
I tried to use boot disk, Grub, LILO… but without success because at the booting time the USB device (My external USB Drive) is not possible to mounted as root nor to fetch the kernel from there. (This can only happened after loading kernel with the help of the related modules…). Also the standard Knoppix-Linux kernel doesn’t have USB support at the kernel only compiled as module. So it is not possible let’s say to copy the lilo and the kernel to a boot floppy Disk and to instruct lilo to boot kernel from floppy disk and root file system from USB (that should be sda?).
So I don’t know what I do in order to achieve Knoppix-Lilo booting from USB Drive.
Is there any way to do that? Is there any of yours that can help me???
Please keep in mind that I am very new in Linux so please try to explain me thinks in a very step-by-step way.
Thanks for your time.
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
hi ya,
this distro might give you some clues, their archives might have a bit more info too.
http://flonix.tuxfamily.org/
reece
Dear reecegeorge,
thanks a lot for your reply.
I have already seen your fine work but it is somehow different from what I am looking for. (My case is not live linus but insteed normal knoppix-linux installation). I am very new so it is not very possible to "convert" your solution to my case. If you can further help me...
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
no dont know a lot about it myself, just came across the post a while back and thought it might be helpfull.
have you seen
http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/runt/
i know this sounds basic so i am just want to say it as a reminder; have you tried googling "boot usb"? surely there is a foppy boot disk somewhere that will do it for you.
but then maybe there isnt. what a pain!
looks like this guy had to remaster dam small knoppix before he could get it boot from his usb
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/
quote "You need to modify linuxrc in miniroot.gz and put the relevant usb modules in modules/usb/."
Dear reecegeorge,
thanks for the link and the info. I will try these later on
Best Regards
Mike Kranidis
no worries, i am just sittin here trying to motivate myself to do some work.
You can boot knoppix 3.3 installed on hd with ext2 fs using the RUNT 3.0 bootfloopy.img. Hope this helps you.
Dani

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$177.21
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$69.99
HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...
$399.99
LOT OF 2 Intel Core i7-9700 3.00GHz 12MB 8-Core LGA 1151 CPU SRG13
$175.00
Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor
$79.00