Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Howto run a script as root

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54

    Howto run a script as root

    I created a script as root to remove some symlinks and to copy some files instead of them.

    The problem is that I am not able to run the script as root.
    As user knoppix I am able to run the script, but do not have the rights to remove the symlinks.
    I want to save the script on the harddisk, so it will be there all the time.
    As soon as I save it on harddisk the ownership seems to change to knoppix:knoppix
    I tried as root:
    Code:
    chown knoppix:knoppix filename
    ownership did not change.
    I tried as root:
    chmod u+x filename
    and
    chmod +x filename
    root could still not run the script, while knoppix can, but does not have enough rights.

    What can I do about this?

    Another question is: how do I get the answer on the question if knoppix should remove the symlink answered with yes without human interferance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    sudo script

  3. #3
    Member registered user tuxtom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    hamburg.de
    Posts
    32

    Re: Howto run a script as root

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanh
    I tried as root:
    Code:
    chown knoppix:knoppix filename
    ownership did not change.
    I think you should issue a
    Code:
    chown root:root filename
    or try (as root):
    Code:
    # chmod 777 filename
    tom

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    Thanks for those answers. I tried them both.

    When I do as root:
    Code:
    chmod 777 filename
    I still can not run the script

    When I do as root:
    Code:
    chown root:root filename
    I get:
    Code:
    chown: changing ownership of 'filename': operation not permitted
    Also
    Code:
    sudo filename
    does not work as root or as knoppix.

    I've started knoppix with the cheatcode knoppix 2 to stay in textmode.
    After the script has run the knoppix-box will function as ftp-server.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    maybe put
    sudo su
    at the top of the script
    or put
    sudo rm / sudo ln etc

    what kind of script? and you are running ./script.sh ?
    what happens with
    sudo ./script.sh ?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    When I do as root:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/hda1/filename /etc/filename
    the onwnership of the new file is root:root.
    Still I can not run the script as root, not even when I do as root:
    Code:
    chmod u+x filename
    or
    Code:
    chmod +x filename
    or
    Code:
    chmod 777 filename
    Which should work according to several Linux howto's.

    I get a message:
    Code:
    bash: filename: command not found
    The file exists
    When I do:
    Code:
    ls -l filename
    I get
    Code:
    -rwxrwxrwx    1  root root   549 jan 26 15:25 filename
    ('filename' is colored green)
    Is user knoppix using another shell or something like that?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    you have to do
    Code:
    ./filename
    not just
    Code:
    filename

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    54
    thanks, the script is running.
    Code:
    ./filename
    did do it. I did not expect that because it runned as knoppix using just
    Code:
    filename
    Another question is: how do I get the answer on the question if knoppix should remove the symlink answered with yes without human interferance.
    Has one of you also the answer for the second part of my question?

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Another question is: how do I get the answer on the question if knoppix should remove the symlink answered with yes without human interferance.
    you mean
    rm -f ?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I'm going from memory, but I saw a post either on this forum or on the linuxtag knoppix forum about a user that could not run scripts. IIRC he had to:

    /bin/bash script

    rock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. need MIDI howto
    By redss in forum Ideas
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 02:29 AM
  2. DVD playback howto
    By mzilikazi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 08:36 PM
  3. HOWTO change PC name
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 06:22 PM
  4. Howto: Script to put the device shortcuts on the desktop
    By fabriloup in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 10:28 AM
  5. HOWTO: Script to burn MP3 files to CD
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" MZ-ZLN512C 512GB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MZ7LN512HAJQ-000H1

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB picture

Timetec MS10 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe Gen3x4 3D NAND SSD 35TTFP6PCIE-1TB

$89.99



WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops picture

WD Blue DRIVE SSD 250gb Internal SATA Solid State Drive for Laptops

$39.99