Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: DRIVER INSTALLATION - NFORCE

  1. #1

    DRIVER INSTALLATION - NFORCE

    Hi folks,

    I'm a newbie and need some help from you guys...
    I've just installed a Kurumin (Brazilian distr) on my HDD (partition hda4).
    My problems:

    1 - When I click on hda4 icon on desktop a pop-up window with an error warning displays the message:
    "Impossible to mount device"
    Error --> mount: /dev/hda4 already mounted or /mnt/hda4 busy

    How can I solve this?

    2 - I've got an Asus A7N8X(non-deluxe) mobo and my NIC card isn't detected. I've downloaded a nforce driver from NVidia's website (rpm file), however as I'm a newbie, I don't have a clue on how to install such driver.
    I'd therefore appreciate if someone could give some tips or even post a tutorial.

    Help is very much appreciated....

    Cheers all!!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    To install the nforce2 platform drivers, you need to download the *.tar.gz file, not the *.rpm file. Unpack the file by typing:

    tar -xvzf <filename>.tar.gz

    Then move to the newly created nforce directory:

    cd nforce

    Compile and install the drivers with (must be done as root):

    make
    make install

    Now insert your network driver (as root):

    insmod nvnet

    Configure your network card (as root):

    netcardconfig

    You can select DHCP or other configuration. The network should now be up. To make sure the network driver is automatically loaded after reboot (as root):

    cd /etc
    kwrite modules

    The text file that opens has a list of modules (drivers) that load during boot, add a line with "nvnet". Save the file and exit kwrite.

    You are done!

    As for your first question, what is hda4, a windows partition?

  3. #3
    m_yates,

    I´ll follow your instructions and try to make linux detect my NIC. Cheers for the time being!!!

    regarding to hda4, the scenario is
    HDD 80Gb partitioned under WinXP.
    hda1 - WinXP partition (NTFS)
    hda2 - Data partition (NTFS)
    hda3 - Data partition (NTFS)
    hda4 - Linux partition (it´s where I installed Kurumin). When I was installing Kurumin I was prompted with an option cfdisk to format a partition to install the OS. I chose option 83 (Linux) and wrote tables to installed it. Hope that makes it a bit clearer...

    Cheers again for the quick help....

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Sorry to jump in here, but I am still confused.

    If you are running the OS from the HD, then the hard drive has to already be mounted. There would be no reason to click the icon on the desktop to mount it.

    Did you install the OS to the HD and are trying to mount the device (/dev/hda4) from a live boot session?

  5. #5
    rneff,

    my apologies for being a newbie....
    I reckon the hda4 is mounted (as per the warning display msg).
    My question was actually about how I can browse/copy/... files on hda4 partition (like clicking on Windows Explorer´s icon placed on desktop).

    Once again folks, sorry for still being stupid on Linux

    PS: As soon as I get familiarised with Linux, I´ll say bye bye to M$

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Open konquereor and browse to /

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    To browse files, click on the house icon at the bottom of the screen. It will open konqueror (file browser) in your home directory (/home/<username>).

  8. #8
    Cheers all, especially to m_yates....

    I did what you suggested and am now browsing the net using Konqueror...

    Thanks for letting me know how to browse my files where Kurumin is installed....

    Cheers all again......I'll probably be back soon with more questions....

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Mi
    Posts
    3

    Wondering

    I'm getting the same thing ,but I'm using CD. Can I do the same thing with using the CD and downloading it to HD.

Similar Threads

  1. NVIDIA Driver Installation
    By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
  2. driver installation
    By voldemort in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2004, 11:00 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:45 PM
  4. Is module/Driver installation possible?
    By Jansi in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 02:45 PM
  5. Nforce 2 driver/USB driver
    By gecco in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED  picture

NETGEAR GS116PP 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch UNTESTED

$40.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99