-
DRIVER INSTALLATION - NFORCE
Hi folks,
I'm a newbie and need some help from you guys...
I've just installed a Kurumin (Brazilian distr) on my HDD (partition hda4).
My problems:
1 - When I click on hda4 icon on desktop a pop-up window with an error warning displays the message:
"Impossible to mount device"
Error --> mount: /dev/hda4 already mounted or /mnt/hda4 busy
How can I solve this?
2 - I've got an Asus A7N8X(non-deluxe) mobo and my NIC card isn't detected. I've downloaded a nforce driver from NVidia's website (rpm file), however as I'm a newbie, I don't have a clue on how to install such driver.
I'd therefore appreciate if someone could give some tips or even post a tutorial.
Help is very much appreciated....
Cheers all!!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
To install the nforce2 platform drivers, you need to download the *.tar.gz file, not the *.rpm file. Unpack the file by typing:
tar -xvzf <filename>.tar.gz
Then move to the newly created nforce directory:
cd nforce
Compile and install the drivers with (must be done as root):
make
make install
Now insert your network driver (as root):
insmod nvnet
Configure your network card (as root):
netcardconfig
You can select DHCP or other configuration. The network should now be up. To make sure the network driver is automatically loaded after reboot (as root):
cd /etc
kwrite modules
The text file that opens has a list of modules (drivers) that load during boot, add a line with "nvnet". Save the file and exit kwrite.
You are done!
As for your first question, what is hda4, a windows partition?
-
m_yates,
I´ll follow your instructions and try to make linux detect my NIC. Cheers for the time being!!!
regarding to hda4, the scenario is
HDD 80Gb partitioned under WinXP.
hda1 - WinXP partition (NTFS)
hda2 - Data partition (NTFS)
hda3 - Data partition (NTFS)
hda4 - Linux partition (it´s where I installed Kurumin). When I was installing Kurumin I was prompted with an option cfdisk to format a partition to install the OS. I chose option 83 (Linux) and wrote tables to installed it. Hope that makes it a bit clearer...
Cheers again for the quick help....
-
Sorry to jump in here, but I am still confused.
If you are running the OS from the HD, then the hard drive has to already be mounted. There would be no reason to click the icon on the desktop to mount it.
Did you install the OS to the HD and are trying to mount the device (/dev/hda4) from a live boot session?
-
rneff,
my apologies for being a newbie....
I reckon the hda4 is mounted (as per the warning display msg).
My question was actually about how I can browse/copy/... files on hda4 partition (like clicking on Windows Explorer´s icon placed on desktop).
Once again folks, sorry for still being stupid on Linux
PS: As soon as I get familiarised with Linux, I´ll say bye bye to M$
-
Senior Member
registered user
Open konquereor and browse to /
-
Senior Member
registered user
To browse files, click on the house icon at the bottom of the screen. It will open konqueror (file browser) in your home directory (/home/<username>).
-
Cheers all, especially to m_yates....
I did what you suggested and am now browsing the net using Konqueror...
Thanks for letting me know how to browse my files where Kurumin is installed....
Cheers all again......I'll probably be back soon with more questions....
-
Wondering
I'm getting the same thing ,but I'm using CD. Can I do the same thing with using the CD and downloading it to HD.
Similar Threads
-
By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 22
Last Post: 08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
-
By voldemort in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 11:00 PM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:45 PM
-
By Jansi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 02:45 PM
-
By gecco in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 02:06 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

HP ENVY 16 / 16" 120 hz / i9-13900H / 1TB Storage / RTX 4060
$920.00

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$334.67