-
Junior Member
registered user
odd output from fdisk
I run the following and this is what I see
root@Linux:~# fdisk /dev/hdb
Command (m for help): p
Disk /dev/hdb: 3228 MB, 3228696576 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 782 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 121 487840+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdb2 122 782 2665152 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 * 122 782 2665120+ 83 Linux
I do not know why hdb2 is there. If it is mounted on my desktop it does not allow me to open it. If I try to delete #2 it deletes hdb2 and hdb5.
Here is my fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hdb5 / ext2 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/dev/hdb1 none swap sw 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /mnt/hdb2 ext2 noauto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppi x 0 0
/etc/fstab (END)
Also I am trying to get Open Office to install but I have no room left. From the above is there any way to tell what space I have left? Is there anything like Windows explorer that would show each drive with the space available. My drive icons on my desktop do not seem to help.
If I check each desktop icon hda1 hdb1 or hdd5 they all say the same thing 95% used, 144mb/2.5gb...yet they are all different sized drives as per the below...so why do I see them all as 2.5GB via their ICONS on the desktop??
Disk /dev/hdd: 1281 MB, 1281181696 bytes
64 heads, 63 sectors/track, 620 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 4032 * 512 = 2064384 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdd1 1 620 1249888+ 83 Linux
Disk /dev/hda: 2564 MB, 2564352000 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 621 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 621 2503840+ 83 Linux
Disk /dev/hdb: 3228 MB, 3228696576 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 782 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 121 487840+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdb2 122 782 2665152 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 * 122 782 2665120+ 83 Linux
Thanks!
-
Junior Member
registered user
I did alot of forum and web searching and I can not figure it out. Perhaps I will just bite the bullet and get a new HD instead of trying to live with 3 very old drives.
I just do not get why CFDISK does not allow me to modify this disk
Disk /dev/hdb: 3228 MB, 3228696576 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 782 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 121 487840+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdb2 122 782 2665152 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 * 122 782 2665120+ 83 Linux
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Eradicator
I did alot of forum and web searching and I can not figure it out. Perhaps I will just bite the bullet and get a new HD instead of trying to live with 3 very old drives.
I just do not get why CFDISK does not allow me to modify this disk
Disk /dev/hdb: 3228 MB, 3228696576 bytes
128 heads, 63 sectors/track, 782 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 = 4128768 bytes
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdb1 1 121 487840+ 82 Linux swap
/dev/hdb2 122 782 2665152 5 Extended
/dev/hdb5 * 122 782 2665120+ 83 Linux
The problem you are having is that you do not understand the concept of partitioning very well. You have 1 primary partition on the drive (/dev/hdb1) and an extended partition (/dev/hdb2) which is a container for other logical partitions in this case /dev/hdb5 you could have several more in there if you wanted eg hdb6, hdb7 etc.. . When you try to delete the hdb2 you are deleting the whole container (partition) which includes hdb5 which is the only thing that can happen. You should maybe do a little searching and reading on partitioning.
As to why the icons all show 2.5gb not really sure what is happening there unless the same drive partition is being displayed by all the icons the easiest way to find out how much space is in use is to df -h in a console window which will give you all the space used and free for all mounted partitions.
To free up space for other programs you can apt-get install localepurge which will purge the excess locales and man pages in other languages if you tell it to. You can also get rid of kde-i18n-?? internationalization packages of KDE and there are a bunch of xserver-??? packages that are not needed and just taking up space this should free up at least a couple of hundered MB.
Similar Threads
-
By eljoky in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:36 PM
-
By ashore in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-26-2004, 08:05 PM
-
By martianrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-16-2004, 04:40 PM
-
By hololi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-05-2003, 05:31 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-15-2003, 06:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU
$45.00

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$101.99

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99

HP Z440 WorkStation LGA 2011-3 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard 710324-002
$39.99