Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Promise SATA150 TX4

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57

    Promise SATA150 TX4

    I want to get KNOPPIX *installed* onto my new Raptor hard drive. The latest KNOPPIX release doesn't have the drive for my controller built-in.

    I've downloaded the source code for the driver (here). Unfortunately, the driver does not 'make.' I presume that the read-only nature of the KNOPPIX cloop image may be a part of the reason, as well as not having the appropriate kernel source for the KNOPPIX kernel.

    Can someone point me in the direction of the new kernel source .deb package (I only saw 2.4.21-xfs, not 2.4.22-xfs)? Assuming that I can get the kernel source and the drive file 'make's, will I need to add/modify and initrd image?

    Any other possibilities ... that don't include using a hard drive not connected to my SATA controller?

    Thanks in advance.

    -SUO

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57
    Thanks for the link. I found the 2.4.22-xfs source in the /sources directory. Maybe that will make the driver compile a little happier.

    -SUO

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57

    Update!

    After mucking with the driver source code, I got the driver itself compiled. Now, I need to figure out how to build scsi.o and sd.o for 2.4.22-xfs and then integrate those files along with pdc618_mod.o into the initrd image used to boot the KNOPPIX CD. Sounds like fun, right?

    With any luck, I'll try the modules-disk cheatcode to see if the whole modify-the-boot-image is even necessary.

    -SUO

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    13
    like knoppix so far SUOrangeman?
    I found it about a month ago, and now I've gotten re-hooked on linux.
    As far as another what i think may be a new hardware glitch, I've found on an intel 845 integrated mobo, that the alternate terminals seem to "glitch" out.. tho it's not really super new hardware.. so I'm a tad perplexed.
    I think you and i exchanged emails once a few years back.. unless your another suorangeman, not from anandtech.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57

    "I am Sourangeman ... of AnandTech"

    Yes, I am indeed that same SUO. I've been mixing it up with Linux for both business and pleasure for several years now. I was introduced to Linux through RedHat and later moved over to Mandrake. Once I was no longer wet behind the ears, the advantages of Debian drew me in. KNOPPIX just takes Debian to the next level. I don't think I could ask for anything more (aside from getting this stuff onto my Raptor!)

    -SUO

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57
    Still looking for some insight.

    I I tried to forge ahead on my own. Too bad it didn't get me anywhere!

    -SUO

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Promise card
    By navi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 08:27 PM
  2. Help me compile Promise Drivers
    By briko in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 04:04 AM
  3. Promise S150 Tx+ driver installed, and now?
    By hamatoma in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 04:13 PM
  4. The use of (promise) raid...
    By academic in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 09:31 PM
  5. Promise FastTrak 100 Raid
    By elbe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Kingston UV400 120GB 2.5

Kingston UV400 120GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD Silver 6Gb/s PC Compatible

$30.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99