I'm curious to hear from people with experience using both lilo in the mbr and gag. How is using gag different, or does gag just install itself in the mbr too? If so, is using gag safer somehow or easier?
TIA,
I'm curious to hear from people with experience using both lilo in the mbr and gag. How is using gag different, or does gag just install itself in the mbr too? If so, is using gag safer somehow or easier?
TIA,
to use gag with linux lilo must be installed in root partition, no in mbr.
gag may be installed in mbr or it may be run from diskette.
If lilo is installed in mbr, as usual, GAG dont "see" it.
http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html
GAG is not a replacement for lilo or grub. It is a "switcher"
This cut&paste may help to understand
I better recommend you to use the GAG boot loader http://gag.sourceforge.net/ ,a short description of the process would be:
1.- Use a tool to make the partitions for each OS (Partition Magic $, DiscDrake (from a knoppix for example), etc). Linux can be in the 2 HD.
2.- Then install in a good order de Os's, setting the appropiate partition ACTIVE and installing there, then change the active partition for the next and intall there the other windows. Then install linuxes. But take care of this, INSTALL THE APPROPIATE BOOT LOADERS (NT LOADER, LILO, ETC) IN ITS PARTITION, NO THE MBR. Gag will be installed in MBR.
3.- Install GAG, then you have a "higher" level boot loader that you can use to switch any os by preserving their respective boot loaders (NT loader, lilo, etc). Gag is installed from a diskette, and you save your configuration in the diskette.
OK, so gag just switches boot loaders, say XP on hda1 and linux on hda2 with lilo in root. But is gag in mbr safe? I've had very bad experiences with lilo in mbr....
TIA,
So instead of having options in the boot loader in the MBR you have seperate boot loaders in the beginning of each partitions and then you use gag to select which partition to boot..
I think this is what gag is, from reading this post.
Right, but I thought that messing with the mbr is not a good idea. Doesn't gag get installed in the mbr just like lilo does?
TIA,
Sounds like it does. Messing with the MBR can be a very bad idea, but that does not mean that you cant/shouldnt do it. If you do what you are supposed to then everything will be fine. ALWAYS MAKE BOOT DISKS and then you can never really get into trouble.
I just did! I don't see the benefit of using gag over lilo in the mbr, do you?
Regards,
No, I agree. I do not see any advantages.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73