Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: synaptic seems stuck

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    synaptic seems stuck

    Whatever I try to do, I can't seem to get rid of Xmovie which, in turn, means I can't install anything. Synaptic goes through the motions of fixing broken packages, removing Xmovie, but whenever I try to download something it's still there. Nothing will install, absolutely nothing.

    Ideas, please.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Anything? Anyone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: synaptic seems stuck

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Whatever I try to do, I can't seem to get rid of Xmovie which, in turn, means I can't install anything. Synaptic goes through the motions of fixing broken packages, removing Xmovie, but whenever I try to download something it's still there. Nothing will install, absolutely nothing.

    Ideas, please.
    The output of the actual apt-get command that is being used by synaptic would be helpful post what it tells you when you do apt-get --pruge remove xmovie and what it tells you when you try to install a program.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    apt-get --purge remove xmovie

    seems to have removed xmovie. I just couldn't find the syntax. But synaptic seemed to still be broken. Trying to upgrade anything (I've yet to try a straight install) I got:

    Preconfiguring packages ...

    Update finished - You can close the window now

    Nothing was downloaded, nothing was changed.

    apt-get upgrade synaptic seems to upgrade a pile of stuff but not synaptic. I'm puzzled.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    apt-get --purge remove xmovie

    seems to have removed xmovie. I just couldn't find the syntax. But synaptic seemed to still be broken. Trying to upgrade anything (I've yet to try a straight install) I got:

    Preconfiguring packages ...

    Update finished - You can close the window now

    Nothing was downloaded, nothing was changed.

    apt-get upgrade synaptic seems to upgrade a pile of stuff but not synaptic. I'm puzzled.
    The output of the commands would still be useful there is no way to tell what apt is trying to do without seeing it. Personally I gave up on Synaptic for exactly the same thing you are seeing right now you have no control over what is happening.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    It's time for bed, here (although I'm running an apt-get update) I'll see if I can come up with some telling output tomorrow. At the moment I'd pay for a YaST for Debian! I never thought I'd say that........

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    The only meaningful info

    apt-get upgrade synaptic

    outputs is

    Unpacking replacement libsmpeg0 ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/koffice-i18n-de_1.2.92-1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    root@molehole:/home/john#

    Can I just rm it? And then, I'm puzzled why a sophisticated package management system should fail to install a completely unrelated package because dpkg encounters some mysterious error with a koffice localisation package.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    The only meaningful info

    apt-get upgrade synaptic

    outputs is

    Unpacking replacement libsmpeg0 ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/koffice-i18n-de_1.2.92-1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    root@molehole:/home/john#

    Can I just rm it? And then, I'm puzzled why a sophisticated package management system should fail to install a completely unrelated package because dpkg encounters some mysterious error with a koffice localisation package.
    You would remove the offending package with apt or dpkg not rm. The problems come from having so many packages from different sources installed there is just too much of a chance for conflicts between them and things change every day in the packages so what may work today may not work tomorrow because of these changes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I've sorted out the koffice-i18n-de_1.2.92-1_all.deb issue by following towjamb's instructions here

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...r=asc&start=15

    but still can't seem to upgrade anything. Will try again tomorrow.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Ha. In desperation I pointed apt-get at unstable. I now have a really strange Synaptic with a new interface and the latest Wine (which hopefully has the horrible x11drv.dll error fixed.

    Why this should have worked puzzles me, bwth.

Similar Threads

  1. Synaptic cannot start
    By AJones in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 01:23 AM
  2. Synaptic problem
    By my2cents in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 06:30 PM
  3. GUI for APT - SYNAPTIC
    By legal in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM
  4. Synaptic
    By Fortran in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 06:11 PM
  5. Synaptic problem
    By my2cents in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Yealink SIP Phone T85W picture

Yealink SIP Phone T85W

$153.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99