I posted this as a reply to another post in one of the forums, but nobody there seemed to have an answer. I'm having a problem using an Orinoco wireless card in an older Toshiba laptop. Since I don't know if this belongs in either the network or the laptop forums, I'll post it here!
My problem is with a Toshiba 2060cds (amd K6 366, 160mb ram). I have an Orinogo gold card with the latest firmware (dloaded recently from orinocowireless.com), and I'm trying to get it going with Knoppix V3.3 (2003-09-24-EN) (I've also tried older 3.2 versions). Upon bootup, Knoppix hangs hard as it tries to load the orinoco_cs module.
So far, in the BIOS I've turned the PNP OS setting (not called that, but similar) both on and off, I've setup PCMCIA for both PCIC-compatibile and 16-bit/cardbus compatible modes, I've tried other orinoco cards (to make sure the card isn't defective), etc.
When I remove the card before booting, the machine starts up just fine. But if I insert the card after the machine is booted (i.e. when the desktop is up and system has settled), the machine hangs.
Is this a Knoppix problem, a orinoco_cs module problem, a pcmcia system problem, a Toshiba 2060-specific problem... ?!? If anyone has any tips (short of getting a new laptop or wireless card!), I'd greatly appreciate them.
Thanks!
Jeff

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI
$289.99
Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49
ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99