-
Re: frustrated
Yes I would say so the only thing I can think of is there are other packages that it depends upon that are not fixed.
[/quote]
Opps! Double-post...
Um, but I'm missing libxcursor, so if it depends on something else, still why isn't the fixed version on apt?
Is there a page outlining the progress of this bug? This is pretty major cuz apt is entirely broken until this is fixed...I can't imagine this isn't a big deal.
-
Senior Member
registered user
First:
login as root or use su - to obtain root access
then:
cd /var/cache/apt/archives
then:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite package-name_version-number.deb
use the package-name_version-number.deb for the offending package, from your posts it looks like you should use:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
The force command should be: --force-option
the -- before force is needed...
Note: you may need to use this on occasion (but be warned you may mess up your system if used improperly), maybe upgrading KDE, etc. what causes this is a particular file is needed by two different packages, and included in both so each can function, when the file is installed from one package, then dpkg errors out when you try and install the second package containing the same file.
HTH
~rock
-

Originally Posted by
RockMumbles
First:
login as root or use su - to obtain root access
then:
cd /var/cache/apt/archives
then:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite package-name_version-number.deb
use the package-name_version-number.deb for the offending package, from your posts it looks like you should use:
dpkg -i --force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
The force command should be: --force-option
the -- before force is needed...
Note: you may need to use this on occasion (but be warned you may mess up your system if used improperly), maybe upgrading KDE, etc. what causes this is a particular file is needed by two different packages, and included in both so each can function, when the file is installed from one package, then dpkg errors out when you try and install the second package containing the same file.
HTH
~rock
Sweet! I didn't think this would work, but it did!
Doing this with the correct syntax made apt say "libxcursor1 is not configured" which I said, "hey I can do that" and I did a configure using dselect and then tried the command again and it succeeded. Yippee!
-
Thanks a lot RockMumbles for pointing out that small syntax mistake! How big a difference it makes...
I'd also like to say that none of this stuff was intuitive. I think that after I get used to it all I'll be able to spot that "posix"/long option/flags require the double-dash.
Similar Threads
-
By monkymind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
-
By Boolean in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
-
By hittozu in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:48 AM
-
By publius in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 01:22 PM
-
By code-pupil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99