Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Outlook Express 6 to Kmail utility by Ulrich Krebs - plus!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Outlook Express 6 to Kmail utility by Ulrich Krebs - plus!

    One thing that was a barrier preventing me from migrating to Knoppix from Window$ 98SE was how to import my 1000's of emails into Kmail from Outlook Express 6. Happily this gentleman, Ulrich Krebs, has coded a utility that runs under Win, that converts the '.dbx. files to '.mbx'

    He makes it available for free from http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.html

    (this is the English link).

    I still have a few issues with Knoppix, when I start a new session my desktops icons are all over the place, I've bodged a startup script that resets some of the parameters that Knoppixs autodetects, i.e. I put DMA back on, automount the harddrives and set permissions to 'rw' (why doesn't bootmisc.sh get run?)

    The big thing is I'd like to use my old HP (hpgl) plotter with QCAD, but cannot find out how to! Shame, no matter, I'm still better off!

    www.stuartkennedy.org.uk

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    Debian style install, useful stuff to know.....

    I've done some more experiments (well, I was playing with dselect and completely messed up knoppix.....) so I re-installed.

    This time using the 'knoppix-installer' script I opted for the 'Debian' style install. I think what happens here is that Klaus's clever script autodetects the hardware then passes these settings onto the standard Debian configuration files. There-after, it just boots as a normal Debian install. I think Klaus's script hides lots of the 'scary' boot messages (sends then to null?) . This is great as I've never managed to do a Debian install the normal way.....

    So for example the much talked about 'bootmisc.sh' is part of the boot scripts and features in /etc/rcS.d (I think). This perhaps explains why other posts suggesting making changes to this script will not work when a 'Knoppix' style install is done?

    Other differences are that you have the normal login prompt and the logout options that let you shutdown or rebbot or ligin as a different user. The Root shell asks for the Root password too.

    Just thought you'd like to know. Stu.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Debian style install, useful stuff to know.....

    Quote Originally Posted by stukennedyuk

    I think Klaus's script hides lots of the 'scary' boot messages (sends then to null?) . This is great as I've never managed to do a Debian install the normal way.....
    Good advice but Klaus did not write the script it was Christian Perle for the knx-hdinstall and Fabian Franz for the knoppix-installer.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Credit where it's due. Without the install scripts I'd not be running Linux right now

    I'm finding it fun, although frustrating at times! Stu.....

Similar Threads

  1. importing Outlook Express mail into Kmail
    By johnfila in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM
  2. Import emails and Address Book from Outlook Express
    By guicaste in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 01:02 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 06:45 PM
  4. Open source 'Outlook' alternatives?
    By Tortoise in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:58 AM
  5. Viewing Outlook PST Files
    By SerenityNet in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU picture

Dell T7910 Workstation Tower Homelab AI Server PC - Xeon CPU - NO HDD/RAM/GPU

$279.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon Gold 6248R 3.0GHz 24-Core SRGZG 35.75MB LGA3647 Server CPU Processor

$269.99



HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS picture

HP Z4 G4 WORKSTATION | INTEL XEON W-2245 3.9GHZ | 512GB | 16GB | NO OS

$299.99



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99