Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix Terminal Services client nfs error

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228

    Knoppix Terminal Services client nfs error

    I am using Knoppix 3.3 9-22-03 from CD, and am able to start the termal server just fine. However, when I boot a client machine and use the NIC boot rom (ISA 3com 3C590), I get the Knoppix boot screen, but as the login progresses, the kernel is loaded, but the system stalls out when the system tries to mount nfs.

    On the client side it is assigned an ip address and states that it finds the hardware and loads the driver correctly. The machine I am using is a 486 with 16 meg of memory.

    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Thanks for the reply. I already saw that post, which refers to running the TS from a hard drive install. I will certainly try that next.

    However, I am trying to run this from a CD, so although the symptom was the same, the root cause was different.

    Since I last posted, I moved the 3Com NIC to a Pentium 450 PC with 100 meg of ram and a hard drive. The TS client booted up right away, but wanted to create a 60 meg swap file on the hard drive. Once the swap file was created, the problem was solved.

    It looks like the issue was that the hardware was a little too "thin" for the TS requirements. Does anyone have an idea on the minimum requirements for a TS client?

    Ideally I would really like to boot a diskless workstation, so I am curious about minimum / recommended CPU and ram requirements. However, we could add a hard drive for swap only, so feel free to factor that in as well.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix terminal server: sudo not working on client
    By thewolf in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 10:25 AM
  2. terminal server: Bus error on client ifconfig
    By skyywalk in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:41 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 11:59 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. MS Terminal Services and local devices
    By fsa in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 12:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00