Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Newbie - Need Help Running liloconfig

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17

    New Newbie - Need Help Running liloconfig

    Hi. I'm real new at KNOPPIX although I have plenty of experience with DOS (I remember when 2.1 came out) and Windows.

    I ran hdinstall but didn't install LILO because I didn't know what it would do to my system. Now I have installed Smart Boot Manager and I'd really like to boot KNOPPIX from the menu.

    I've been wrestling with liloconfig all night. It didn't like COMPACT, and when I pounded that I got this message:

    Fatal: Filesystem would be destroyed by LILO boot sector: /dev/hda5

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks for the help,
    Steve

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    It sounds to me that Smart Boot Manager is a boot loader that you are trying to use instead of lilo. If this is the case, then there is no reason to run liloconfig to install lilo, you simply have to setup knoppix inthe Smart Boot Manager. In fact running liloconfig would probably rewrite the Smart Boot Manager that you have installed.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    This Smart boot manager is supposed to be OS-independent, and Windows has an MBR on the hard disk. I just have to build a partition that it will recognize. Probably bootable, except that there are a few items in the menu that aren't bootable.

    I suppose I can always delete the KNOPPIX partition and start again - I don't really have any data on it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    Now I'm in trouble - FDISK isn't recognizing the KNOPPIX LINUX native partition as a logical drive, and refuses to delete the extended partition because there is a logical drive on it. I guess this means that I have to get KNOPPIX to boot after all. So I need your help. Meanwhile I can continue to boot from the floppy that I made during hdinstall.

    Thanks,
    Steve

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    Just had an idea - can you delete a partition (that KNOPPIX is installed on) from within KNOPPIX? I can boot from the CD.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    17
    I ran Ranish Partition Manager and made the partition LINUX extf2 like the logical drive that I installed KNOPPIX on. Have to see what that does.

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie with problem getting KNOPPIX up and running!
    By pvsurfer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 12:06 AM
  2. Newbie needs help: Errors when running knoppix-installer
    By galandy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2005, 12:41 AM
  3. newbie: video config when running from CD?
    By krikke in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 07:05 AM
  4. Vibrating display running at any resolution in X (Newbie).
    By SmallFlyingHippo in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2003, 03:39 AM
  5. Vibrating display running at any resolution in X (Newbie).
    By SmallFlyingHippo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 05:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99