Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Natsemi internet connectivity problem, Guru needed :)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    Natsemi internet connectivity problem, Guru needed :)

    I tried posting this in networking, but have had no response in days .

    I can't for the life of me get internet connectivity in Knoppix, and I'm wondering if any experts here can guide me.

    I use a static IP address through a router at 192.168.0.1, I have set up my nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf too (but that isnt the problem).

    Knoppix seems to detect my network card (natsemi driver), and I know it works fine in linux as I use slackware on this machine, and previously many other distros.

    I set up ifconfig manually and added the default gateway with route, but if I use the network card config program, it's still the same.

    I have tried connecting directly to another computer on my LAN (to bypass the need for a nameserver to be working) and its the same, nothing happens, at all.

    Heres the output. I noticed there are a lot of errors on sent packets (and none transmitted properly).


    root@ttyp0[/]# ifconfig && route
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:E3:18:7D4
    inet addr:192.168.0.16 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:713 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:745 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:745
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
    RX bytes:43162 (42.1 KiB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xf000

    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:54 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:54 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:3852 (3.7 KiB) TX bytes:3852 (3.7 KiB)

    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

    Thanks.

    EDIT : I'll add that I've tried Knoppix STD and an older version too, and its still the same. It works perfectly on my other system.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    It looks like I may know the problem, the base address is set to 0x0000.

    Anyone know how I could get around this? An argument on modprobing, pehaps?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --I see 0xf000, not 0000... Anyway, my natsemi is set to irq=9, 0x5000. Modprobe should only be loading it into a usable address tho.

    --Also, you shouldn't have to set the route manually. (Every time I've messed with route, things broke.) I am by no means a networking "guru" either, to this day I can't get Windows networking (SMB shares) working between 2 Win98se machines. In Linux, everything Just Works. But I'm learning more everyday, even got Iptables working and figured out how to do dhcp serving. So perhaps I am not the best person to answer your question, but I feel a need to try and help.

    --What is the "other system" it's working perfectly on? Can you ping the router and other boxes? Have you tried swapping out the Ethernet cable?

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebulgaria
    It looks like I may know the problem, the base address is set to 0x0000.

    Anyone know how I could get around this? An argument on modprobing, pehaps?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    Ah yes, I missed the f, sorry about that mistake.

    Ive tried it with netcardconfig, and setting it up manually, both give me the same results.

    I know its not a physical problem, as Slackware is installed on the exact same machine currently, and it connects to the internet perfectly. Its using the same NIC, same ip address etc.

    Ping yields nothing, if I look at ifconfig, no packets are transmitted, I just get a bunch of TX errors.

    Im usually pretty good at getting my machines to network, but this thing is eluding me, I might just have to wait for a future knoppix (maybe when it changes to the 2.6 kernel, a fairly long time probably).

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Just on a wild hunch, compare contents of /etc/hosts between Slackware and Linux. Could be a dead end, but worth checking.

    Quote Originally Posted by unclebulgaria
    Ah yes, I missed the f, sorry about that mistake.

    Ive tried it with netcardconfig, and setting it up manually, both give me the same results.

    I know its not a physical problem, as Slackware is installed on the exact same machine currently, and it connects to the internet perfectly. Its using the same NIC, same ip address etc.

    Ping yields nothing, if I look at ifconfig, no packets are transmitted, I just get a bunch of TX errors.

    Im usually pretty good at getting my machines to network, but this thing is eluding me, I might just have to wait for a future knoppix (maybe when it changes to the 2.6 kernel, a fairly long time probably).

Similar Threads

  1. Internet connectivity
    By mpeden in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 11:17 AM
  2. Internet Connectivity
    By mpeden in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 12:32 AM
  3. Internet connectivity
    By tkrishna in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:36 AM
  4. knoppix guru needed!!
    By gyro in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 03:22 AM
  5. Knoppix guru needed
    By linux-noob in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5

Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD

$145.00



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$343.98



Western Digital WD 3.5

Western Digital WD 3.5" Western Digital Red 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD - Works great

$79.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99