If you are talking about a situation where you boot from the CD each time, then you are not going to be able to really save any changes.
Can somebody tell me what actually is the difference between saving the KNOPPIX configuration and saving the persistent home directory? I figured the /home saves all files in that directory but there are also .configuration files so why would I then need the saveconfig?
I was actually looking for a way to save some impotrant files such as /etc/passwd, /etc/inittab and so on.
I tried to look in various DOC and FAQ online but I cannot find any description of what actually is saved using these functions.
Thanks
zkosty
If you are talking about a situation where you boot from the CD each time, then you are not going to be able to really save any changes.
Wrong. You can save all you want (!)
I think that the Persistent Home Directory saves all that goes into the users Home directory, and I *think* saving the Knoppix config is files that normally goes elsewhere.
...... the saveconfig saves the config file "knoppix.sh" (which is a script and a short one on my system). (The knoppix.sh on the cdrom loads too with this att boot)
Well, after saving the config, inspecting my hard drive, I find these 2 files: knoppix.sh file of 462 bytes, and configs.tbz file of 242104 bytes. Reading the text in knoppix.sh, apparently this script only causes the system to read the larger file, configs.tbz.
My question now is, what kind of information is stored in the .tbz file?
And my original, persisting question is: can I save configuration files from the /etc directory, such as etc/passwd, etc/hosts and so on?
thank you !
zkosty

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99
Intel Core i9-13900K Processor (5.8 GHz, 24 Cores, LGA 1700)
$320.00
Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished
$44.99
Intel Core i7-7700 Kaby Lake Quad-Core 3.6 GHz Processor LGA 1151
$39.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99
Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339
$39.99
Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU
$99.99
$32.99
GAMING COMBO: ASUS Prime H470M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-10600KF CPU + 16GB DDR4
$229.95