Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67

    broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

    Somehow I got a broken dependency....I thought apt wouldn't let that happen...but somehow I guess it did....so it says so "apt-get install -f"....and I did....and it says:

    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
    7 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/27.3kB of archives.
    After unpacking 135kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
    (Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


    So here I am still stuck with this broken dependency. I can't run apt-get upgrade to upgrade any packages it seems until this is fixed....does anybody know what the problem is?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094
    Somehow I got a broken dependency....I thought apt wouldn't let that happen...but somehow I guess it did....so it says so "apt-get install -f"....and I did....and it says:

    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
    7 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/27.3kB of archives.
    After unpacking 135kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
    (Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)


    So here I am still stuck with this broken dependency. I can't run apt-get upgrade to upgrade any packages it seems until this is fixed....does anybody know what the problem is?
    Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67

    Re: broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

    Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.
    No luck:

    root@Harkonnen:~# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing force-overwrite (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    force-overwrite
    libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094
    Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.
    No luck:

    root@Harkonnen:~# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing force-overwrite (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    force-overwrite
    libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    You would have to cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ first to be in the actual directory where the file is sorry should have been clearer in the instructions.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67

    Re: broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

    You would have to cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ first to be in the actual directory where the file is sorry should have been clearer in the instructions.
    That, I also tried, but it errors:

    root@Harkonnen:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    dpkg: error processing force-overwrite (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    (Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    force-overwrite
    libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    That's weird check if the file is in the cache directory if not you should go to http://packages.debian.org and download the package to the archives directory and install it.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    That's weird check if the file is in the cache directory if not you should go to http://packages.debian.org and download the package to the archives directory and install it.
    OK, i downloaded it and it autoopened with Kpackage and I selected install, and I got an error which looks pretty much like the same error I've been getting before:

    (Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    and the file is in the "/var/apt/cache/archives" directory.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    That's weird check if the file is in the cache directory if not you should go to http://packages.debian.org and download the package to the archives directory and install it.
    OK, i downloaded it and it autoopened with Kpackage and I selected install, and I got an error which looks pretty much like the same error I've been getting before:

    (Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    Right click and use save as to save the package on the HD then move the package to the cache directory and try to install from there I have never used kpackage but I would image it is not trying to force an overwrite it is just trying to install normally.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Right click and use save as to save the package on the HD then move the package to the cache directory and try to install from there I have never used kpackage but I would image it is not trying to force an overwrite it is just trying to install normally.
    Thanks for trying to help me. I did that, and put the file in /var/cache/apt/archives. I then did "apt-get -f install", but got the same error. I'm thinking the problem doesn't have to do with the package and has to do with "/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h'".

    apt-get -f install
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
    7 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0B/27.3kB of archives.
    After unpacking 135kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
    (Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get tab-autocompletion and dependencies broken <help
    By monkymind in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-29-2004, 11:06 AM
  2. "Unmet dependencies" - apt-get broken
    By Boolean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2004, 08:18 PM
  3. needed help for programs dependencies, thanks
    By hittozu in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2003, 01:48 AM
  4. kde: broken due to unsatisfied dependencies
    By publius in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 01:22 PM
  5. apt-get Dependencies for kdevelop xlibs-pic
    By code-pupil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 08:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99