Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: newbie: Boot failure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4

    newbie: Boot failure

    Hi all,

    This is my first dip of a toe into linux, so I hope you'll bear with me if I haven't exhausted the troubleshooting options I should have known about.

    I'm trying to boot knoppix 3.3 (9/24/03 beta), and it hangs at

    Code:
    apmd[60]: main(): apm_open() failed: no such device.
    So I tried booting with the

    Code:
    knoppix lang=us noapm
    command, but then the machine POSTs instead of hangs at the same place.

    Code:
    knoppix lang=us failsafe
    hangs at the same apmd error message as without failsafe.

    Code:
    knoppix lang=us noapm failsafe
    hangs at "Skipping APM BIOS detection as requested on boot command line".
    [code]

    Specs:

    Dual Athlon MP 2100 on Tyan Tiger MPX (BIOS 4.03d)
    1G Mushkin Pc2100, tested and passed with memtest86
    AGP GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB
    PCI GeForce2MX 32 MB
    Soundblaster Audigy Gamer OEM
    onboard 3Com LAN
    USB keyboard (MS office KB), mouse (Intellimouse Explorer 3), and Wacom Intuos2.

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    Doesn't help.
    Code:
    knoppix lang=us noapm nosmp noapic
    gets me a POST.

    Wait a second - now it booted properly all by itself while I was typing this in on the other machine - is a reboot an expected part of the process?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    It rebooted after it was stalled during bootup and worked? That is kindof odd. I do not know.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    yes, it boots fine if I wait for it to auto-startup (although my sound card doesn't work), but any command line (even just lang=us) will cause it to hang. I have verified this on several restarts.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I don't get it, either. But try appending alsa to the

    knoppix lang=us noapm nosmp noapic

    line:

    knoppix lang=us noapm nosmp noapic alsa

    and see if that gets your sound going.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    4
    I can't. It will only boot with no command line at all.

    I'm guessing it has something to do with my USB keyboard, and my motherboard's handling of it in DOS mode. I'll dig a PS/2 one out of the closet to test one of these days.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 04:27 PM
  2. MPT SCSI boot failure
    By Morris Jones in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 10:12 PM
  3. Weird boot failure
    By Vic in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 04:43 AM
  4. i Series 1171-9AU Boot Failure
    By gpsmith2 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 10:34 PM
  5. Boot failure
    By Nikk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2003, 06:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR picture

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR

$23.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$67.99



Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested* picture

Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*

$32.99



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Core i3-14100 4Core 3.5GHz OC LGA-1700 Boxed Processor BX8071514100 picture

Intel Core i3-14100 4Core 3.5GHz OC LGA-1700 Boxed Processor BX8071514100

$153.67