Check out this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...3592&view=next
Hi all,
This is my first dip of a toe into linux, so I hope you'll bear with me if I haven't exhausted the troubleshooting options I should have known about.
I'm trying to boot knoppix 3.3 (9/24/03 beta), and it hangs at
So I tried booting with theCode:apmd[60]: main(): apm_open() failed: no such device.
command, but then the machine POSTs instead of hangs at the same place.Code:knoppix lang=us noapm
hangs at the same apmd error message as without failsafe.Code:knoppix lang=us failsafe
hangs at "Skipping APM BIOS detection as requested on boot command line".Code:knoppix lang=us noapm failsafe
[code]
Specs:
Dual Athlon MP 2100 on Tyan Tiger MPX (BIOS 4.03d)
1G Mushkin Pc2100, tested and passed with memtest86
AGP GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB
PCI GeForce2MX 32 MB
Soundblaster Audigy Gamer OEM
onboard 3Com LAN
USB keyboard (MS office KB), mouse (Intellimouse Explorer 3), and Wacom Intuos2.
Check out this thread:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...3592&view=next
Doesn't help.gets me a POST.Code:knoppix lang=us noapm nosmp noapic
Wait a second - now it booted properly all by itself while I was typing this in on the other machine - is a reboot an expected part of the process?
It rebooted after it was stalled during bootup and worked? That is kindof odd. I do not know.
yes, it boots fine if I wait for it to auto-startup (although my sound card doesn't work), but any command line (even just lang=us) will cause it to hang. I have verified this on several restarts.
I don't get it, either. But try appending alsa to the
knoppix lang=us noapm nosmp noapic
line:
knoppix lang=us noapm nosmp noapic alsa
and see if that gets your sound going.
I can't. It will only boot with no command line at all.
I'm guessing it has something to do with my USB keyboard, and my motherboard's handling of it in DOS mode. I'll dig a PS/2 one out of the closet to test one of these days.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00