-
Junior Member
registered user
Reiser vs Ext3
I normally use ext3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the Reiser file sytem vs. ext3?
For that matter, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a journalized ext file system (ext3) over using ext2? I'm using ext3 without really knowing why.
Which file system should I use and why?
-
Senior Member
registered user
A journaled file system is vastly superior to a non-journaled fs in that it keeps a 'journal'. That is- if the machine crashes or shuts down uncleanly (rare w/ Linux but still possible) the file system is much less likely to be corrupted as the data is correctly rewritten from the journal.
Reiser has some advantages over ext3 but are probably negligable unless using multiprocessor machines. ext3 doesn't scale well at all on machines w/ more that 2 processors. Supposedly reiser4 has 7.6 times the write performance of ext3! Personally I still use ext3 as it is tried and true and I've had some 'oddities' while using Reiser.
You may find this interesting.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks, rickenbacherus!! That was just the sort of comparison I was interested in. Perhaps others will also find this useful.
I think that I, too will continuie to use ext3 for now. Quite a difference in read/write speeds with reiser4, though.
Thanks again,
Gnu Penguin.
-
Junior Member
registered user
This web site should answer your questions: http://www.linux-mag.com/2002-10/jfs_01.html
Similar Threads
-
By Forcemaster in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM
-
By thiagoalencar in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 07-28-2004, 11:22 PM
-
By hamatoma in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:11 PM
-
By segmose in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-05-2004, 12:31 PM
-
By andrei in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$221.00