-
read-only problem when installing linmodem
Hi,
I, as root, tried installing the ltmodem-2.2.22_6.00c_i386.deb package for my laptop's winmodem to run with Knoppix 3.3. I got an error message telling me "dpkg: unable to access pdkg status area: Read-only file system, Result 2".
I am a Mandrake user, so dpkg is unknown to me. What am I doing wrong?
Many thanks in advance!
Andrei
-
Senior Member
registered user
Your folly has nothing to do with dpkg. A live cd is a read-only file system. It is not possible to install software to a read-only file system. Install to hdd or perhaps there is already a version of Knoppix with your drivers. What drivers do you need?
-
Junior Member
registered user
I thought that .deb files were for Debian distros like KNOPPIX. Is Mandrake also a DEBIAN distro?
Anyway, I think it's pretty straightforward to make a boot floppy, and I wonder if you can install it there?
-
I am trying to install ltmodem-2.2.22_6.00c_i386.deb which is a driver for my winmodem on my laptop. The question is: if you cannot install a driver on the read-only file system, then how do you install a driver to use a winmodem on a laptop running Knoppix?
(-: and no - Mandrake is not a Debian distro 
Cheers and thanks!
Andrei
Similar Threads
-
By riscbroker in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-20-2005, 02:00 AM
-
By Probert31 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-08-2005, 11:39 PM
-
By MrBigTime in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
-
By d3j452 in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-06-2004, 04:42 AM
-
By gritter in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors
$290.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

Apple Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$614.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99