Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Locating my second hard drive in Knoppix.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14

    Locating my second hard drive in Knoppix.

    I have a machine with two hard drives. One has W2K and the other is a blank, 40G.
    I want to install Knoppix on that blank 40G drive. At the moment, I am unable to see the drive when I have the Knoppix CD in. I assume (and pardon me, I'm a Linux newbie here), that this is because the drive is unformatted.
    How can I see the drive to start the install? Will it show up when I start the install using the little script in shell -

    $su
    (my password)
    #cd/usr/local/bin
    #./knx-hdinstall
    etc.

    Will the instructions that come up in the 'etc.' part get me to that hard drive? I didn't want to start an install until I had an idea of what I was getting into.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    munich, germany
    Posts
    4
    hi,

    after starting the install-script you will be asked which hd you would like to use and after that cfdisk will be started. there you can format your hd. i think the 40 gb hd is the second on the first ide controller. so you have to choose hdb.

    (remember
    master on first ide = hda
    slave on first ide = hdb
    master on seccond ide = hdc
    slave on second ide = hdd)

    bye

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    OK, here's what I did per some instructions I was following to install my Knoppix to a blank hd:

    opened a shell
    pressed ctrl-alt-F3 to bring me to another instance of Linux
    In that instance, I typed,
    su
    passwd
    and then I set the password.

    I then pressed ctrl-alt-F5 (F6?, can't remember) which returned me to the instance running the window program.

    In that window, I typed
    su
    and then I was supposed to enter the root password I had just set but no option came up where I could enter the password unseen. Instead, the error returned was 'unable to recognize command [my password] or something close to that effect.
    At any rate, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Thanks in advance for any help! Also, thanks for the previous answer as well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Forget what you learned on that other post.

    sudo knoppix-installer

    You do not need to set a root password.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    OK, looks like it installed - the message was that it installed- though now I'm not sure how to get into Knoppix.
    In other words, I turn the machine on, and the only options I have are to start the Windows OS's on the first hard drive. The second hard drive with Knoppix on it doesn't show up when I start the machine (which may be normal) and it isn't recognized from My Computer (which may also be normal ).

    The short of it is, how do I get into Knoppix now?

    Thanks folks!

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14

    GOT IT!

    I went and redid the entire install. This time I just went to the Knoppix root icon, the one with the little penguin and typed 'Knoppix-install' and then went through the motions. When I rebooted, there appeared my choices between the Windows OS's and Linux/Knoppix.
    I was told several different things to type at the shell but I'm not sure if all were right in some way or maybe someone left a word out or whatever. Also, the first time I was using the Clam shell icon to get to that shell and the second time I used the penguin icon to go to the root shell. I'm still new to this so it's a bit hard to explain still. The short of it is that I'm in and now I can set about learning to do things with the OS.

    Thanks to everyone who has been helping me along!

Similar Threads

  1. how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?
    By likwid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:52 AM
  2. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  3. knoppix & USB hard drive
    By knoxx in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 03:04 AM
  4. Using Knoppix in a Hard Drive upgrade
    By hendry in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 02:57 PM
  5. Installing Knoppix on hard drive
    By sridharb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST picture

Dell OptiPlex 7060 Intel Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 256GB Windows 11 Pro FAST

$159.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98