Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: WINE

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    12

    WINE

    I was recently fooling around with WINE, and discovered that one of my games (GunBound requires Internet Explorer 4 (only for the news "page" that shows when you first run it). Is there anyway I can trick GunBound into thinking that IE 4 is installed? Or is it kinda hopeless? Also, in practically every program I ran, when ever I hit open or save, it'd quit. One program, NEStra (an NES emulator), started giving me Unhandled Exceptions up the wazoo. I understand that WINE isn't perfect, and the Unhandled Exceptions are alright (I don't need to use MSWord while in Knoppix anyway =P), but is it at least possible to somehow make GunBound think that IE4 is installed when it really isn't?

  2. #2
    If it needs MSIE to function I'd say you're pretty well screwed. But I'm not a Linux expert by far.

    One thing I can comment on with a reasonable amount of knowledge is why are you using WINE to emulate an NES emultor? That's kind of.. er.. redundant. An emultaor emulating an emulator. Surely there exist native NES emus for Linux. I'd point one out, but I'm not an NES fan. I use ZSNES in Linux, a SNES emu, and ePSXe, a playstation1 emu. I'm also toying with Mupen64, a n64 emu. These are all native Linux.

    Of course 8 bit NES is so lax on the reqs I'm sure you could do some crazy like run a Linux system with VMWare running Windows on top with Cygwin emulating Linux inside that with WINE installed inside Cygwin and WINE emulating the NEs emulator. In fact, try that some day just for laughs

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    12
    I can't get out to the net while in Knoppix, so I can't download an NES emulator. Besides, I was just screwing around seeing what I could do. Personally, I like Snes9x for SNES emu, I have it for Windows on my machine, and for Linux on my lil bro's machine. On his machine, it actually runs faster in Linux than it does in Windows.

    EDIT: I have Damn Small Linux installed on his machine right now.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3
    email me

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    12
    E-mail you? About what? With what info?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You might try simply putting IE 4 on. IIRC it's said to run fine in Wine.

Similar Threads

  1. WINE
    By tzulberti in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 12:44 PM
  2. wine
    By Veal_calf in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 01:43 AM
  3. WINE/ E/OS LX help
    By broadband412 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 05:29 AM
  4. Using WINE
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-21-2004, 10:28 PM
  5. wine-ing
    By jojo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2004, 11:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.58