Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Install errors

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    Install errors

    I set up a linux (82) partition and a swap (83) partition.

    Save everything and then continue with the install and it loops into this error...
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    this repeats forever.

    I am completely lost here guys. Help. I have disabled PnP in BIOS and the hd is a 5 gig drive. ASUS board, running from CD.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Well it says "hda: dma_intr: error" so I would try booting with nodma.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13

    Ok

    It turned out I had the wrong error. With it scrolling the errors a million miles an hour I had to "guess" at first.

    Ok, here is the errors that I am getting.

    hda: read_intr:error-0x00
    hda: read_intr:status=0x59 {DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequestError}


    I have run Windows 2000 pro without a single problem also. (So I know the drive is sound)

    Help

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Install errors

    Minor correction: 82 is swap, 83 is linux.

    --Make sure you are using the latest Knoppix version (2003-09-24 as of this writing.)

    --Do a scandisk with surface test in Windoze and see if it comes up with any errors.

    --While the machine is powered off, re-seat your IDE cables - both at the motherboard and at the drive. I had this happen to a friend of mine just a few days ago; thought we'd lost his HD until the cables were redone.

    --If you are still using 40-pin IDE cables, consider switching to 80-pin.

    Quote Originally Posted by extradudeguy
    I set up a linux (82) partition and a swap (83) partition.

    Save everything and then continue with the install and it loops into this error...
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }

    this repeats forever.

    I am completely lost here guys. Help. I have disabled PnP in BIOS and the hd is a 5 gig drive. ASUS board, running from CD.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    I've been trying to install the latest KNOPPIX 3.3 and I seem to get the same error. After booting from HD I get several lines of:

    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

    After that the system seems frozen and the only solution I have found is the reset button.

    I have tried to boot with nodma but that did not seem to work... I already have Red Hat Linux 9.0 and Windows 98 installed on hda and both work OK.

    The drive in question is 80 GB IBM that uses some kind of software to get around my old BIOS's size limit. Could this be an issue?
    /Kalle

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Update: I get similar errors and a hung computer if I boot KNOPPIX from CD and tell it to use DMA.
    /Kalle

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --See if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard. If not, you may have to install knoppix as "poor man's install" or use a starting cylinder < 1024.

    Quote Originally Posted by kalle
    I've been trying to install the latest KNOPPIX 3.3 and I seem to get the same error. After booting from HD I get several lines of:

    hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

    After that the system seems frozen and the only solution I have found is the reset button.

    I have tried to boot with nodma but that did not seem to work... I already have Red Hat Linux 9.0 and Windows 98 installed on hda and both work OK.

    The drive in question is 80 GB IBM that uses some kind of software to get around my old BIOS's size limit. Could this be an issue?
    /Kalle

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --See if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard. If not, you may have to install knoppix as "poor man's install" or use a starting cylinder < 1024.

    I don't think there is a BIOS upgrade available. However, this software that I installed when I got the disk should apparently take care of that. It's something that loads every time I boot, before any OS. There's a blue-ish screen that says something like

    HITACHI Dynamic Drive Overaly (c) Kroll Ontrack

    After that I get to Acronis OS Selector where I chose my OS.

    My Red Hat partition must be way past the 1024 limit and that works. Actually, RH is on hda3 and I'm trying to install KNOPPIX on hda2.

    What is a "poor man's install"?

    /Kalle

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Copy from the cdrom x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix and use a bootdisk. With a persistent home, it's the next best thing to a full install; but you can't apt-get anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by kalle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --See if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard. If not, you may have to install knoppix as "poor man's install" or use a starting cylinder < 1024.

    I don't think there is a BIOS upgrade available. However, this software that I installed when I got the disk should apparently take care of that. It's something that loads every time I boot, before any OS. There's a blue-ish screen that says something like

    HITACHI Dynamic Drive Overaly (c) Kroll Ontrack

    After that I get to Acronis OS Selector where I chose my OS.

    My Red Hat partition must be way past the 1024 limit and that works. Actually, RH is on hda3 and I'm trying to install KNOPPIX on hda2.

    What is a "poor man's install"?

    /Kalle

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --Copy from the cdrom x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix and use a bootdisk. With a persistent home, it's the next best thing to a full install; but you can't apt-get anything.
    Aah... Well in that case I'd rather stick with my working Red Hat system for now. I wanted to use KNOPPIX as a quick and easy way to install a Debian system. I tried that the old fashioned way once and I won't do it again...

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.7, install errors, kde problems...
    By gK Angel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2005, 08:13 AM
  2. Install Command Errors
    By Particle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2005, 12:15 AM
  3. Drive CRC errors upon startup after HD install
    By allanorn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 06:06 PM
  4. HDD install errors
    By usbrit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2003, 01:25 PM
  5. apt get errors after hdd install
    By god in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2003, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested) picture

Dell Constellation ES.3 3TB Enterprise-class Hard Drive (Wiped & Tested)

$39.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00