Sometimes (not always, but worth a try) it helps to go into the bios and set it to "Non plug and Play OS". Windows will live happily with this and modern Linuxes often demand it.
I have run Knoppix successfully on many computers, both from CD and hard drive. One older computer I wish to run it on gives me an error after detecting all the hardware correctly and stops. After hard drive detection, the screen says "hdd lost interrupt." It generates the same message every 10 seconds or so, but doesn't go any further. It's a Micron Home MPC (from 1997) with an upgraded AMD 400 Mhz processor and 128 MB ram, with the M55-hi plus motherboard. It runs Win2000 Pro fine. Any suggestions will be appreciated, since I want to make it a dual-boot Win-Knoppix (Debian) machine.
Sometimes (not always, but worth a try) it helps to go into the bios and set it to "Non plug and Play OS". Windows will live happily with this and modern Linuxes often demand it.
Thank you, I have plug and play OS set to "no" already. I will try another version of Knoppix with the older kernel.
I figured it out! My hdd drive is an IDE Zip drive on the second IDE channel, slave to the CD-Rom. I have to have a Zip disk (even an empty one) in the Zip drive in order to boot and everythig's fine!

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested
$670.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99